Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simplify3d: Infill and perimeter gaps

Posted by puolikas 
Simplify3d: Infill and perimeter gaps
April 02, 2016 01:48PM
Hi!
I have this strange problem that when I try to print solid surfaces they have gaps between the printed lines.

I have calibrated extrusion steps and extrusion multiplier.

My nozzle is Volcano 1.2 mm and extrusion width is 1.5 mm. I have tested extrusion width with 40x40x10 mm 1 perimeter block and the width of the shell was 1.50 mm.

Do you guys have some settings for me from simplify3d to increase the density of the solid layers? Pics are attached.

/ Lassi Kaivosoja
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20160402_204433.jpg (239.3 KB)
Re: Simplify3d: Infill and perimeter gaps
April 02, 2016 08:13PM
Welcome to the club of people wanting fine details!
Was about to say your layers look quite thick until I read your posting again and realised you reall talk about 1.2mm...
S3D is quite funny when it comes to "perfect" print settings.
What works fine in Slic3r usually causes massive over extrusion in S3D - this makes comparing and fixing often quite hard.
I did not go below my 0.3mm but one day I will for sure, so maybe my experience with the 0.3 can help a bit.

S3D tries to calculate paths so the extruded filament is just touching on straight lines.
Only the top layer is calculated a bit different to produce a closed finnish.
Also these automatic settings or pre-sets are just a baseline.
They are supposed to be adjusted and saved to give you a reliable outcome once all is working, thei way of explaining it makes you think you push some buttons and get perfect prints right away winking smiley
Adjust the "outline overlap" until the turns of your infill really overlap about 30% with the perimeter.
Set the infill to 100%.
Increase the "infill extrusion width" until the infill lines start to overlap - if they start to form pushed up lines between the extrusion lines you need to lower the width until you get a really smooth surface.
Lower print speeds help here to find this sweet spot for the infill extrusion.
Now print a test cube with 100% infill and 3 perimeters.
(You might need to print 2 at a time to allow for enough cooling of the part(s) )
Watch the layers forming closely and pay attention to any build up that might happen!
If all good your parts should come out fine now.
If not good at all it means your general extrusion multiplier needs further adjustment.
Keep in mind that even my 0.3mm nozzle suffers if the filament changes in diameter too much, so for 1.2mm you need filament that is very constant in diameter over a long distance.
Re: Simplify3d: Infill and perimeter gaps
April 03, 2016 11:49AM
Forget extrusion width........set it to the same size as the diameter of the nozzle, much much better results from every slicer. KISSlicer, Slic3r, Cura, Skein Forge, Simplify.3d

Try Slic3r with auto-calculated extrusion width, then try it set to nozzle diameter, you will immediately see the difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2016 11:49AM by Dirty Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login