Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware retraction

Posted by drmaestro 
Firmware retraction
April 20, 2016 03:45PM
Hi,

I have seen the firmware retraction option in Slicer. My firmware version of Marlin doesn't support it so I haven't been able to test it. Does it have an advantage over using a fixed retraction distance and speed? Is it similar to autospeed, in the sense that the firmware decides on the speed and amount of retraction depending on the situation, so they are not constant? Could it be used in combination with autospeed?

Thanks.
Re: Firmware retraction
April 21, 2016 12:57PM
drmaestro
Hi,

I have seen the firmware retraction option in Slicer. My firmware version of Marlin doesn't support it so I haven't been able to test it. Does it have an advantage over using a fixed retraction distance and speed? Is it similar to autospeed, in the sense that the firmware decides on the speed and amount of retraction depending on the situation, so they are not constant? Could it be used in combination with autospeed?

Thanks.
When you turn firmware retraction on in Slic3r the generated gcode contains G10 & G11 commands for retract and un-retract. The retraction parameters (like amount, speed and such) are defined in firmware and should be immune to speed increase. I have only experience with RepRap Firmware and that's how it is done there. I can only assume it is similar in Marlin.

Reality is in fact virtual.
April 21, 2016 10:30PM
The official claim is that setting the retraction independently in the firmware will allow for better print results.
Biggest difference to doing it just through a slicer is that you can use different speeds, acceleration and distances.
April 22, 2016 01:43AM
I was wondering if it could act synergistically with the autospeed option, which tries to keep a constant pressure at the nozzle. Retractions prevent this to some degree, so maybe the firmware would compansate for it by setting its own retraction movements (but I don't know if they interact at all).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login