Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How about a printing success ?

Posted by aussiephil 
How about a printing success ?
May 29, 2016 07:31AM
Comments and thoughts welcome.

Finally started enclosing my Hex framed delta today and with the 4 main sides now firmly attached the frame stiffness has taken a significant leap upwards so I moved the acceleration settings up to 4000mm/s
M201 = 4000
M566 is still at 1500mm/minute

The printed item is a Duet mounting tray with fan attachment and air flow ducting. It was printed in translucent red PLA (cheap stuff) with the following key settings in S3D
Speed 100mm/s
Outline 90%
infill 100%
travel speed 300mm/s
Nozzle 0.4mm
Layer 0.3mm first 2 then 0.2mm the rest
Retraction 1.2mm @ 60mm/s, this is a flying extruder with around 170mm between extruder and hotend.
Extruder 207c
Bed 55c
Two shells
honeycomb infill 20%
No layer cooling as I don't have a layer fan as i'll move to ABS when the enclosure is complete, though I am liking PLA atm.

Speed adjustment in Duet 90% as it seems the hotend can't quite deliver solid infill at 100mm/s consistently, mind you the ambient temperature in the garage is less than 10c so the filament going in is rather cold. This is a dyzEnd hotend and the thermistor shows less than 1c variation at any one time so still working through this. Nozzle temp has been confirmed accurate.

I'm pretty happy with the following, apologies for photo's, red is somewhat hard to photo.

Close up of the air flow exit holes, this is the only place there is any stringing

Seems to be a small bit of ringing on the vertical edge to the right of the hex holes and there is no banding, what you see is the honeycomb infill through the translucent red

No obvious issues i can see with these corners

Oh and for a colour contrast here is the very first print (after a single calibration square)
this one clearly shows the frame vibrations in the very slightly misaligned vertical layers

Re: How about a printing success ?
May 29, 2016 08:48AM
Very impressive. It sure would be useful to be able to knock out functional parts at 100mm/s. I don't think I'll ever be doing that with my dual direct extruders! Nice idea to show a success for a change.
May 29, 2016 09:23AM
Very nice! Definitely among the better delta prints I've seen. How is the dimensional accuracy of the red box?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 29, 2016 10:20AM
the_digital_dentist
Very nice! Definitely among the better delta prints I've seen. How is the dimensional accuracy of the red box?

Honestly didn't measure it off the printer but the mounting holes line up correctly to the duet board.

A 200mm square was printing .6mm to large but I've left it alone for the time being as the pla filament has die swell to .7mm from the .4mm nozzle, .2mm larger than the .48mm expected in the slicer. This will account for .2mm out of the .6 leaving me at 0.2% to large.... Not sure I want to chase that till I move back to using abs

Cheers and thanks
May 30, 2016 10:01AM
Considering the speed, that's very impressive. Definitely something to be proud of.
June 10, 2016 05:01PM
Hi Aussiphil

Great job with your prints!

If you have any question about the product feel free to contact us!

Max
June 13, 2016 01:04AM
Dyze_Design
Hi Aussiphil

Great job with your prints!

If you have any question about the product feel free to contact us!

Max

Thanks Max,

good to see you guys floating around...... I have sent a message via your webpage .

You may not have seen this video [vimeo.com]

Cheers
Phil
June 13, 2016 11:52PM
Looking good Phil.

Only thing I'd do would be to add some Z lift, this stops those ugly lines when travelling over previously laid plastic. They are obvious in the snail tracks leading out from the mounting pillars on the top photo.
June 14, 2016 08:33PM
nebbian
Looking good Phil.

Only thing I'd do would be to add some Z lift, this stops those ugly lines when travelling over previously laid plastic. They are obvious in the snail tracks leading out from the mounting pillars on the top photo.

Thanks for that, can't recall if that print had z-lift or not as I keep playing with it....Think I'll slice two test pieces with different settings and check.

The more I think about it the more I suspect I had 0.2mm z-lift on retraction, the move then results in the PLA being pulled out as it still sticky resulting in a slightly raised line or snail track as you called it.... guess some test pieces can prove or disprove the theory,

Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login