Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My second print diagnosis

Posted by Vuokko 
My second print diagnosis
May 31, 2016 04:40PM
I did my second print with P3steel. Speed was something quite fast and layer height 0.1 Temperatures were 200/70 and I used PLA

Anyway for now this print looks promising. Only problem is Y-axis. My Idea is to give it more power and lower acceleration. It makes horrible noise and it looks like motor is stalling.

Is there something else as obvious to be seen and requiring fixing? Are my diagnosis and actions right?

Re: My second print diagnosis
May 31, 2016 08:05PM
Hi,

that print looks taller than I remember it - have you checked that the Z axis is moving the expected distance? If the Z travels more than the expected amount it throws off all the calibration of extrusion rates and would make it hard to get a good print.
May 31, 2016 08:07PM
You got a little more problems than that.

The noise of your stepper is because you haven't set your stepper driver current, your Z axis isn't calibrated neither (layer separation) you have some extrusion problems (under extrusion) which I assume are due to lack of calibration.

Once you have done all the calibrations needed, then print again your model and you will see how gratifying is getting perfect prints for just a little patience and work.
June 01, 2016 04:25PM
Z axis was fine. I homed, drove to 101.6mm and it was there where it should have been. Then I outputted half hour job which drove Z to different heights and then back to 101.6mm. I tested the height by putting old 3 1/2 inch HDD and sliding paper under the nozzle. I would print on it if I had to.

Now that my acceleration on Y is 500 and rest are default. And I can see the acceleration of the bed.

I'm still under extruding and I don't know why. Extruder is clean so it hasn't slipped and ground filament, video says I'm not skipping steps. I got same amount rotation from printing the deck and running the deck layers without filament. Temperature is high, 190-220 recommended by manufacturer and I'm using 200, so nozzle pressure shouldn't be that bad. Also the sagging of printing on thin air tells filament being on the maybe too hot side. As seen on the cabin roof. Only thing I'm thinking now is filament diameter. But it has been so close to 1.85mm that my Chinese caliper can't make real measurement.

However I'm happy with the bow now that I've made three prints and I have fleet of boats. Or one boat, one wreck and one which never left the yards. And artsy photo of themsmiling smiley

June 01, 2016 04:34PM
Oh! Was the middle boat the one in the first photo? If so, I completely misinterpreted the perspective - sorry for giving you bad advice. Looks like you've made good progress! Perhaps try more cooling fan to help with the bridging on the roof section.
June 02, 2016 12:25AM
Furthest on the left is my first print which ended dropping of hot end. Middle one is second which had problems with Y. But it is good that you tols to check my steps. They all were accurate. I had two dots made with marker. One in (20,20) and other (180,270)and I was able to land my nozzle on them repeatetly. Extruder rolled out five times 100m when asked so my calculations were correct.

I'll give some adjustment to my cooling fan. But I'm still wondering about the under extrusion. Maybe it is just that. Underextrusion and printer wants more plastic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login