Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not sure how to approach this part

Posted by thekubiaks 
Not sure how to approach this part
June 03, 2016 08:19AM
This part has a lot if fine detail and curves inside. I'm not even sure what orientation to set it to or how much support. I have a Wanhao i3 with .2mm micro swiss head and can print in PLA or PETG. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - 6c744228663c106283a1c7f158c81738_preview_featured.jpg (34.6 KB)
open | download - ff7f240b04072662f91f7d2f66b1b992_preview_featured.jpg (36.2 KB)
Re: Not sure how to approach this part
June 03, 2016 09:33AM
That looks like one of those things that "designers" post to thingiverse without ever actually printing.

FDM printing can be used to print a lot of things, but it can't print everything. Some things are better made using some other process or type of 3D printing.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 03, 2016 01:45PM
Not something I would try printing personally. However, it looks like the "bottom" of the model will be "hidden", so I would try printing it on a raft, roughly how it is currently oriented, so any ugliness from the raft will be hidden and you end up with a nice smooth top.

Never printed with a raft before, so I am not sure how you would set it up in your slicer software.
June 03, 2016 02:38PM
On a raft with a lot of support material, that kind of print is better with dual nozzle using one for dissolvable filament.
June 04, 2016 12:22PM
Don't think you're going to get that done in any kind of reasonable condition without soluble support.
June 05, 2016 10:27PM
I would cut that piece in 2 and then glue both parts. That woulld let you have a goot osition and aliminate a lot of required support
June 07, 2016 11:31PM
Hard to see what's inside, but from what I can see I'd rotate it so that the right hand side of the part (as visible in the first pic) is touching the build plate. Then all the detail should work, without needing much support. Those internal rails would then be printed vertically, which works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login