Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A "wound" on surface

Posted by tampano 
A "wound" on surface
June 26, 2016 09:45AM
I noticed this "wound" on the side of round objects (I'm printing my first experiments, not an expert) and I can't imagine what is causing it. Maybe calibration, but where/what?

I'm sure you may help me better :-)

It seems to be on every round object and always on the same side, let's say between hour 7 and hour 8 on a clock if you watch the printing surface from above.

I can't see anything similar on square objects.

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - File Jun 26, 14 24 54.jpeg (399.3 KB)
open | download - File Jun 26, 12 58 26.jpeg (478.4 KB)
Re: A "wound" on surface
June 26, 2016 10:42AM
Zzzz might need to Randomize Z start points (layer change), but even that can produce undeZirable Z artifacts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2016 10:43AM by MechaBits.
June 26, 2016 11:06AM
It's probably subtler on square objects because it's starting the perimeters at a corner. You may be able to tune this some with coast settings depending on your slicer and firmware, you can change its appearance by switching between inside-first perimeters and outside-first perimeters, and you can make it a series of points rather than a line by switching to random perimeter start points, but the nature of FFF is that there will generally be some kind of evidence where the extrusion starts and stops.
June 26, 2016 11:58AM
As above, it's the seam where the head starts and finishes each line. It's normal, and yours isn't particularly bad - actually, pretty good.
June 26, 2016 02:25PM
Single line would be better, I'd be more interested as to why the stair step was coming from, Software or Z, or elsewhere?
June 27, 2016 04:11AM
I use simplify 3D and I've been trying to minimize z scar recently using the settings coast, retract, extra distance on restart and wipe nozzle. I have next to no Z scar anymore.

The Z scar is essentially the pressure that has built up in the nozzle being released, even if you are not doing a printing move. Coasting in S3D (not sure on other slicers) stops the extrusion before the end of the line so the pressure releases the filament.
June 27, 2016 06:50AM
What are your coasting - retraction - wipe settings in Simplify3D?
July 02, 2016 11:35PM
Try upping your Z jerk and acceleration in firmware. This will help make the layer change much faster, and reduce the scar.

Master Tinkerer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login