Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle Build-up During Print

Posted by devilmostwanted 
Nozzle Build-up During Print
September 25, 2016 01:23AM
Hi!

My printer was perfectly fine until I had to move. I brought the printer to my new place and ever since hooking it up, I have been unable to print a single item successfully. I think some parts shifted during the move (like the bed glass etc.) and that's why I am having so many problems. Anyway, I re-did my auto-level sensor set up and adjusted the bed further. BUT now every print I do, starts fine but after 20 seconds (or any section that requires stopping the extrusion and re-extruding, say, holes in the middle) build-ups appear around the hot-end and then nothing sticks afterwards for a while.
I thought it had to do with Z-offset and my auto-leveling, and that's why I set it up again. But still, no luck.

I have attached two photos of one of the prints I am doing. It is supposed to be a flat-bed with 6 screw holes in it. Printer did the first hole, but got stuck on the second one and went ahead to ruin the rest of the holes and print.

Any help is much appreciated

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 01:35AM by devilmostwanted.
Re: Nozzle Build-up During Print
September 25, 2016 12:59PM
Your Z0 needs adjusting, it looks like the nozzle it too far away from the bed for the first layer.
September 25, 2016 02:28PM
I've tried compensating it with z-offset setting. But that hasn't worked. What else do you think I should do? Perhaps manually re-adjust the sensor's position?
September 26, 2016 01:24PM
Update, it seems like the problem is with the glass. For some reasons the filament no longer sticks to the glass, which is weird because it was fine before. I tried printing with glue on the glass and it worked better. In fact things started to stick to bed. I've tried cleaning the glass with rubbing alcohol and then washing it with soap and water. But still no luck. Any thoughts? Can it be that my glass top has reached the end of its days?
September 26, 2016 03:43PM
Rubbing alcohol is not a good cleaner, it usually has a light oil in it. Use acetone or a good glass cleaner.
September 26, 2016 08:29PM
or lighter fluid great for cleaning glass lenses no streaks or smears.
October 02, 2016 11:25PM
Hello all, sorry it took a bit long to reply. Was after an acetone based liquid. I bought a nail polish remover. And now things are starting to stick but I have another problem.....Check the photo below:
-The extrusion is very thin. I have adjusted my e-steps, multiplier, and measured my filament's diameter. But it still prints weird.
-The other problem is gap(not shown in the image) between first later and the rest of the layers. I have never had this problem and I am using the same settings as before.

Any thoughts on the potential problem?

Thanks for all your help!
October 03, 2016 01:05AM
Read the ingredients on that nail polish remover bottle- it probably contains lanolin and/or glycerin- to help prevent drying cuticles. Both are greasy and neither is going to help prints to stick. I went through about a year at the makerspace where people kept putting that crap on the beds and then wondering why they couldn't get prints to stick. Get some pure acetone.

The extrusion may not be thin- it may be the plastic's reaction to the goop left on the bed by that nail polish remover. Clean the bed with pure acetone and then try adjusting your Z=0 position.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 22, 2016 10:06PM
Thanks.
I finally bought some acetone a few days ago and you are absolutely right. It fixed the problem right away! Thanks for your help again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login