Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What you people use for gluing PLA parts?

Posted by aFrazatto 
What you people use for gluing PLA parts?
September 26, 2016 09:23AM
I just changed from ABS to PLA and was used to have good response from super glues (surface contact ones).
But PLA is just not sticking.

I tried modelism glue, but is not strong enough to melt the surface of PLA.
I tried using putty directly, but it also didn't work.
Re: What you people use for gluing PLA parts?
September 26, 2016 11:34AM
Spot weld with a bit of PLA, you can put a strip of filament into a dremel...and spin it fast against the part.
September 26, 2016 12:34PM
I'll let you in on my secret:

[www.hobbylinc.com]

I tested this stuff with two cylinders I printed out of PLA - it was a fit test where one portion of the cylinder fit into the other. After letting it dry (I waited overnight even though it bonds almost instantaneously) I gave it a torture test.

I threw the bonded parts against the floor as hard as I could several times to see if I could get it to come apart - no separation.

I then took it to my vise and cranked down along the seam where I bonded the two pieces together and it held so well the rest of the layers above and below the bonded area cracked and separated instead of the glued area!

Great stuff!!
September 26, 2016 01:07PM
MechaBits
Spot weld with a bit of PLA, you can put a strip of filament into a dremel...and spin it fast against the part.

That is a good idea! Thanks.
Also to correct small printing problems, instead of grinding I could just re-melt the thing in place.

psneddon
I'll let you in on my secret:

[www.hobbylinc.com]

That is the principle of modelism glue, but your option is probably much stronger. Unfortunately, I'm from Brasil and getting hold of specific brands is close to impossible.
I'll see if I can find anything marked as plastic solvent around here.
September 26, 2016 03:36PM
I have also just heated a bit of filament with a lighter and dabbed it on where needed, and as you pull it away it stretches and if your quick you can use the strand to fill a groove...but basically the parts goosed...that glue to fix a bad layer split might be an option, but i'm happy i dont seem to have that issue, though some of the parts I had done on the Ultimaker had those issue's the machine hadd been hammered and the infill setting where not what i would choose now.
September 26, 2016 04:02PM
I'm pretty sure the Plastruct cement is just thinned PVC solvent glue,the stuff used to glue PVC plumbing tube together.
You might find that at a large hardware store,even in Brazilsmiling smiley.I don,t have any here,otherwise i would test it myself.
September 27, 2016 03:48AM
I have success by using a soldering iron to melt the two pieces together. The soldering iron can help to stick down any corners that are lifting on the print bed.
September 27, 2016 11:08AM
It's not for fixing printing problems, it's just to glue pieces together on large prints.

johnleach2000
I have success by using a soldering iron to melt the two pieces together. The soldering iron can help to stick down any corners that are lifting on the print bed.

You have a soldering iron with power control I assume?! Cause my chip one here would melt all the way trough the piece.

clogs51
I'm pretty sure the Plastruct cement is just thinned PVC solvent glue,the stuff used to glue PVC plumbing tube together.
You might find that at a large hardware store,even in Brazilsmiling smiley.I don,t have any here,otherwise i would test it myself.

Yep, that is exactly where I was going to look first, plumbing stores.
September 30, 2016 12:21PM
Just to let you know, PVC glue is the winner.
Although you need a lot of it to work properly. Nothing that a little sanding after drying doesn't cover.
October 01, 2016 02:58PM
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works on PLA but you have to be quick with it.
October 03, 2016 03:38PM

Good to knowsmiling smiley.
I have also used 2-part epoxy,the 5-minute stuff,which seems to hold ok too.
October 03, 2016 10:40PM
Revell Contacta Professional seems to hold my TARDIS in one piece.
It is a simple plastic modelers glue used to build plastic kits.

October 04, 2016 02:40PM
I have had luck with raising my bed temperature from 50 all the way to 70. I currently barely need the Elmer's glue stick, but I use it as cheap insurance anyway. I haven't encountered any drawbacks yet, but am open to finding some winking smiley
October 04, 2016 03:36PM
JimmyTime
I have had luck with raising my bed temperature from 50 all the way to 70. I currently barely need the Elmer's glue stick, but I use it as cheap insurance anyway. I haven't encountered any drawbacks yet, but am open to finding some winking smiley
Interesting,

I can print on the glass, but i use Scotch glue stick mainly to prevent lift from the corners on small parts.

I know i can print to the glass, but it seams easier using glue. grinning smiley Especially i get rid of the "tail" that might happen when it first starts the print. A small piece of extrusion will lift up and soil the nozzle on second pass.

I think the bottom layer looks better being semi matte from the glue stick, rather than being glossy from the glass surface.

This glue above loses its properties after day or two. You need to wash it off and apply again.
October 07, 2016 08:57PM
aFrazatto

Thanks for this. I'd forgotten I had a couple of tins of plumbing cement and I just experimented on gluing soft pla to acrylic for a hinged panel I'm thinking of making. The two tins are the grey system 636 pvc cement and the yellow abs cement. Both worked great in terms of strength, the grey is a bit ugly where it shows, the yellow looks pretty good, especially as it happened to be yellow pla I was sticking it to smiling smiley

Seeing how well this works, and given the glue is not too expensive, I think I might be gluing a lot more parts together instead of using screws and nuts. It should be a real time saver with the acrylic panels as I won't have to worry about drilling holes.
October 07, 2016 09:49PM
I'm toying with the idea of gluing a part to glass platter, ideally dead center on the round platter, it might save a lot of head scratching..then maybe some other arrangement for the square pieces.
October 09, 2016 08:53PM
z-poxy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 08:54PM by deaconfrost.
October 11, 2016 11:12PM
Wow! Lots of options here! I was going to try E-6000 on my next assembly, but I'll definitely check out a few of these suggestions if that doesn't work out! Thanks!
November 13, 2016 03:09PM
I am getting PLA sticking to blue masking tape (decorators tape) at 0 degrees, it now does after resetting the heatbed and adjusting the hotend/extruder mount (it had snapped!)
My only issue now is (having gone from ABS to PLA, @ 185, I keep getting blockages
kr_
December 10, 2016 01:30PM
I'm degreasing the surfaces with Loctite 7061 or Acetone before gluing and wear gloves to handle the parts. Degreasing can make a huge difference. I'm gluing the parts together with Loctite cyanoacrylate or no name 2 component epoxy.
They're both very strong but the cyano glue requires no gap between the surfaces (which I usually obtain by printing directly on a glass surface). The drawback with the no name epoxy is that it takes 3 days to obtain full strength.

I've tried no name cyano glue from a modelers eBay store. It was cheap but about 10 times weaker than the Loctite one...
December 10, 2016 05:12PM
I've had good results with hot air gun. 200-260C, lowest blow and 3mm nozzle. It is also possible to add some filament when connecting or fixing parts.

Something like:
[eud.dx.com]

That works also for reworking electronics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login