Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I make my rafts easily removable using Cura?

Posted by cagtag 
How do I make my rafts easily removable using Cura?
November 16, 2016 03:29AM
Hi,

I use Cura and I want to print my models with raft. However, raft isn't removable from my model. I watched a video from Zortrax (below) and people can removable easily the rafts.

Re: How do I make my rafts easily removable using Cura?
November 16, 2016 04:52AM
I don't use Cura, but the trick for removing a raft or support easily is finding the best distance between them and the printed part. To close and they fuse, to far apart and you don't get the slight connection you need to print overhangs or anchor the part.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
November 16, 2016 05:15AM
Hi,

Which program do you use? Do you sent me the settings of the program? And which value should I change for finding best distance?
November 16, 2016 08:15AM
It just takes adjustments.
The M200 is a $2,000 machine. Its going to take some work to make a reprap printer perform the same.
November 16, 2016 06:15PM
I print my rafts with 2 top layers and an air gap of .18 with standard extrusion, 100%. If I print at 180c for pla it breaks off easy. If I print higher temperatures I some times need to use a xacto chisel blade to help, but it still comes off nice and clean. I also print the first layer at 20 to 40mms. It looks smoothest with anything over .2mm in layer height. I am thinking I need to drop it to .15 for .1mm layer heights.
November 17, 2016 09:39AM
I was printing the oar files from Thingiverse with Cura 2.3.1 with rafts. The oars are very tiny objects and very brittle, but they came right off the raft with no problem using the settings below. I did have to use a thin putty knife in one spot where one of the shields was attached, but it managed to come free without any extra material or any damage to the printed object.

The above was used with layer height 0.15mm with an initial layer height of 0.2mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 09:40AM by PDBeal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login