Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bonding of flex PLA with non-flex PLA

Posted by Replace 
Bonding of flex PLA with non-flex PLA
January 12, 2017 12:35AM
hi all,

I am developping hybrid objects which need to be printed in both Flex and non-Flex.

This is one example:

I do this by changing the filament during pause.
However: the bond between the two is lousy. It will separate on the surface of the bond very easy.

Is there a solution to prevent this ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Bonding of flex PLA with non-flex PLA
January 12, 2017 12:57AM
Would printing them separately and gluing or solvent-welding the parts together not work for you?

I can't think of anything short of raising temperatures to the max (both bed and nozzle) that would improve adhesion between incompatible materials.
VDX
January 12, 2017 04:08AM
... if you reduce the height and rise the temperature for the first layer of the second print, then the bond will be much stronger ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 12, 2017 11:10AM
anvoice
Would printing them separately and gluing or solvent-welding the parts together not work for you?

I can't think of anything short of raising temperatures to the max (both bed and nozzle) that would improve adhesion between incompatible materials.

Maybe,
I have not tried to glue the FLEX. I can very well glue the non-flex.
So if gluable, yes it would help.
Even in non-flex, the cyanoxx glue is my friend due to build platform size limits .....

But the question came out of my 3dPrint eagerness, not my afterprint activities spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bytheway.. why state 'incompatible' ? Is'nt PLA PLA ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 11:11AM by Replace.

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 12, 2017 11:12AM
VDX
... if you reduce the height and rise the temperature for the first layer of the second print, then the bond will be much stronger ...

I can try that.
Thanks for the tip. Will try and get back.

January 12, 2017 05:55PM
I said 'compatible' because in general poor interlayer adhesion between 2 different (and they're clearly different chemical compositions) materials might indicate that. I meant 'not compatible' in that sense. There are additives in the flex due to which it's not the same PLA as regular PLA.

Hope one of the tips works out for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 05:55PM by anvoice.
January 12, 2017 05:56PM
Thanks,
I get it!

yes.. it must be different, if not it would not flex.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login