Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder making load noise and is not turning

Posted by djlapan 
Extruder making load noise and is not turning
February 22, 2017 10:49PM
First, I just want to say that I am new to 3D printing. I am in the final steps of building a core xy printer. The only thing left is the extruder calibration, but for that to work the extruder needs to turn when the hotend is on. I have tested the extruder motor on different connections(x and y). What am I missing?

Any help would be great.
Re: Extruder making load noise and is not turning
February 23, 2017 02:54AM
The colors of the stepper wires are not standardized, so you might be unlucky and have to find out which wires are connected. There should be two sets ( if you have a 4 wire harness ) with continuity. These are coils A & B. Now sort the wires so they match the pinout on the controller: 1A,2A,2B,1B.

When the stepper only hums instead of running, switch two wires. Either from coil A or coil B.

Don't worry you can't break anything, unless you crank up the Vref (motor current ) to high.
February 23, 2017 04:49AM
If the motor is working if you plug it into either the X or Y connectors, then i would say the wires are the right way round.
Check you have the right steps/mm set for extruder in eeprom, check extruder speed is not set too high.
Extruder will not turn unless the hot end is above 175 degrees or you have enabled cold extrusion.
February 23, 2017 05:40AM
The motor is working when I plug it into either the X or Y connectors. I've have the hot end headed up to 200 degrees C for testing the extruder and when I go to test the extruder I get a loud noise whenever I go to extrude. The only thing that I see that might be to high is the Extr. 1 acceleration, it is at 5000 mm/s^2. I've attached a screen shot of my eeprom settings for the extruder.
Attachments:
open | download - 2017-02-23 05_29_05-Firmware EEPROM Settings.png (16.1 KB)
February 23, 2017 08:54AM
What type of extruder do you have direct or bowden ?
Have you testing without filament to see if the motor turns.
If the problem is only with filament,you may have a blocked throat tube feeding the nozzle.

Your eeprom settings look ok fo a bowden extruder, steps may be too high for direct drive type (mine are 102 for a mk8 extruder)
February 23, 2017 11:46PM
There is a physical limit to how fast you can accelerate a stepper. If you exceed that, it will skip steps. If there isn't enough current going to the motor, it won't have much torque and will skip steps. If there is too much current, the motor will overheat and skip steps. If the stepper driver overheats, it won't deliver enough current and the motor will skip steps.

First try the extruder motor without filament -- if that doesn't work, then it's not going to work with filament. Next try extruding filament but not through the hot-end. Only when that's all good should you try to push filament through the hot-end (which will introduce a whole new bunch of reasons for the extruder motor to skip).
March 04, 2017 11:16AM
My extruder set-up is direct, I also have an mk8.
My motor is not turning when plugged into as the extruder.
My nozzle is not blocked, I can manual feed the filament through.

After testing the extruder detached from the hot end, I was able to calibrate the correct extruder steps. I have found that when the extruder and hot end are connected the feed mechanism is not applying enough pressure to the filament to feed it through.

Thanks for all the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login