Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My layers are not solid

Posted by DrBoost 
My layers are not solid
March 07, 2017 09:52AM
Hi folks. I've searched the wisdom that is google and am still at a loss.
I'm printing with a Prusa iv3 10".
I have calibrated and adjusted my extruder
.40 nozzle printing at 194 on a bed heated to 64 on glass
I've used different slicers, and changed the settings I understand, and a few I don't. No matter what I get these results. Basically, my layers are not solid, they end up being a screen.
Here's a picture of the 2nd or 3rd layer of a print last night:

During this print I used the ramps board to up the flow to 120 (120%??) and I had evidence of over extrusion. That makes me think I am extruding the proper amount of filament.
This print was .15 layer height.
Do you need any more info? Do you have any ideas?
Thanks for reading.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3780 small.jpg (128.5 KB)
Re: My layers are not solid
March 07, 2017 06:46PM
Do you have the slicer set for solid top and bottom infill, with a depth for that infill ? If you don't then the infill will default to the % set generally.
March 08, 2017 04:09AM
For my eyes your print looks good. Like Supermec I assume there is some oddity in your slicer settings.
March 08, 2017 09:55AM
I think my settings are for 2 mm bottom, and 3 mm top layers. The print pictured is a phone case so it's 100% fill.
Shouldn't each layer be solid, each line touching the ones next to it? That doesn't happen on any layer except my bottom layer (90% height). That being said, the bottom layer is almost solid. Of course, that doesn't include the XX% infill layers.
Does that make sense?
Thanks for the responses folks.
March 08, 2017 09:56AM
"Top and Bottom Fill"....Is this different than the # of layers top and bottom? I'll try to get a screen shot when I get home.
March 08, 2017 10:42AM
Correct, at 100% infill all layers should be solid. Then maybe you still have a slight underextrusion. Did those signs of overextrusion happen in the 1st or 2nd layer? Then ignore them, or increase your head about 0.05mm maybe. What's your nozzle size? If 0.4mm or 0.5mm try layer heights of 0.25mm or 0.3mm.
March 08, 2017 12:23PM
Inhumierer
Correct, at 100% infill all layers should be solid. Then maybe you still have a slight underextrusion. Did those signs of overextrusion happen in the 1st or 2nd layer? Then ignore them, or increase your head about 0.05mm maybe. What's your nozzle size? If 0.4mm or 0.5mm try layer heights of 0.25mm or 0.3mm.

The overextrusion issue only happened when I turned the "flow" up to 120 on the printer interface (I print from an SD card). I think I do have a slight under-extrusion issue going on. I'll play with it a bit after work.
March 08, 2017 12:54PM
I attached a close-up version of the same file. I think you can see better that the lines don't connect to each other in quite of bit of each layer.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3780c.jpg (405.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login