Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different results with ABS when printing parts sliced with Cura and Slic3r

Posted by David J 
Different results with ABS when printing parts sliced with Cura and Slic3r
May 04, 2017 07:33AM
Lately I've been having trouble when printing multiple ABS parts on my CoreXY printer - after a number of layers the edges start to peel off and the print has to be abandoned. Not such a rare event, I hear you shout... but when I print the same job on my Prusa i3 I have a struggle to get the parts off the bed at the end of the job, they're so well stuck. Both machines have identical heatbeds and hot-ends, and they're using the same filament. The Prusa has a RAMPS board, and the CoreXY a Duet board.

I seem to have identified the problem, but I don't understand why it's happening - when I use the Prusa I slice using Cura (from within Repetier-Host), but I use slic3r for the CoreXY as I have to upload the gcode to the Duet board and the stand-alone version of slic3r is just easier to use. For the hell of it I used Cura to slice a job using a setup for the CoreXY, exported the gcode and shipped that off to the printer - and it stuck perfectly for quite a long print job.

So it looks like jobs sliced in Cura stick to the bed far better than those sliced using slic3r... can anyone suggest why?
Re: Different results with ABS when printing parts sliced with Cura and Slic3r
May 04, 2017 12:38PM
Slice a job in both Cura and Slic3r and then take a look at the starting lines and see if one is starting closer to the bed than the other by looking at the Z values.
May 04, 2017 12:40PM
PDBeal
Slice a job in both Cura and Slic3r and then take a look at the starting lines and see if one is starting closer to the bed than the other by looking at the Z values.

That's a good thought... I'll try that later.
May 05, 2017 01:47AM
I noticed the same and found differences in the brim-width and first layer width.
Cura makes some nice wide tracks, while slic3r runs halfway across the fresh tracks and peels/pushes them off the bed.
I have them both set to default extrusion width for my CoreXY. ( was 180% first layer width before )
That doesn't work on the Prusa, because the bed is less flat and has more springiness in Z-direction.

I actually thought of slicing a part with both and then copy/paste the first layer from Cura into the slic3r file.
But there are many parameters to adapt, so I didn't try it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 01:51AM by o_lampe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login