Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which support material to use?

Posted by dlc60 
Which support material to use?
May 20, 2017 02:48PM
I am looking at a two extruder head soon. I have to decide on a one or two nozzle one. Regardless, this is a home hobby thing and I am unlikely to use a nasty chemical dissolver for my typically PLA projects. What would be a good material to use if I just wanted something super brittle that snaps off?

Thanks,
DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 03:25PM by dlc60.
Re: Which support material to use?
May 20, 2017 05:11PM
There are 3 options (beside using 1 head, and the same material as support)
-Hips, but there you need chemicals to remove it.
-Pva, only tapwater to remove this material.
-Polymaker's Polysupport. Easy to remove, but functionaly the same as using the same material, but with almost no traces.
Ps, dual extrusion (what you need for there support options) is not easy, and requires quite a lot of practice.
May 31, 2017 01:46PM
RudydG
There are 3 options (beside using 1 head, and the same material as support)
-Hips, but there you need chemicals to remove it.
-Pva, only tapwater to remove this material.
-Polymaker's Polysupport. Easy to remove, but functionaly the same as using the same material, but with almost no traces.
Ps, dual extrusion (what you need for there support options) is not easy, and requires quite a lot of practice.

Quite a lot of practice?
I think that describes learning PLA and ABS printing perfectly well. So what else is new!
Part of what makes this fun is the constant learning curve. Two months ago I got a Kossel delta printer kit. Now I have dialed it in enough that many prints are routine, but everything new takes tuning and practice to get right.
After I "perfect" my ABS process the next logical step is a dual head of some kind. Then try a Cartesian printer to see what makes them different, while at the same time learning how to use CAD packages.

I am not going to be bored for a while.
Thanks,
DLC
June 01, 2017 07:19AM
Is the PVA filament of any value as support?

I have not seen a filament that adheres enough on PVA so that it can be printed with this support. Maybe someone knows one and can share with us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login