Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.1 from scratch Mirrored text on prints

Posted by JustSumGuy 
Marlin 1.1.1 from scratch Mirrored text on prints
June 12, 2017 06:06PM
Hi all, so I have this little GeeTech ME Creator box and it had issues with pretty much everything when I got it...
Frankly I cant recall why I gave up on the stock firmware...

So I treated it like a home build and loaded a fresh Marlin 1.1.1 up and started fixing issues one by one.

For some time now I have been happy with it, but today I tried to print a nice little T.A.R.D.I.S. for my daughter to put in her fairy garden..... Fairies like the Doctor ya know....

While my homing is going where it should and my head moves where I tell it to and everything I print looks like it should...

The text on the print is mirrored ?!?!?

ok, I suppose the whole prints are mirrored and it took something this obvious to see it smiling smiley

The printer uses the BED on Z system with X-Y as head moves.
The home is rear left so I assume that's 0,0 and when I tell Astro print to move +100 on X or Y that's what I get..
It prints dead center of the BED..

I don't know what to adjust to keep things working right but flip the text....

a little help plz smiling smiley

Thanx much!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 06:06PM by JustSumGuy.
Re: Marlin 1.1.1 from scratch Mirrored text on prints
June 12, 2017 07:02PM
Sounds like your X axis is reversed.
Mine homes to the rear right.
X and Y endstops are setup as MAX and not MIN in that position.
June 12, 2017 07:58PM
my physical stop switches are factory (if you can call it that) set there.

From my perspective looking at the printer - rear (away from me) and to my left.

The printers own POV rear right smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 08:00PM by JustSumGuy.
June 12, 2017 09:55PM
3D printer controller firmware, slicers, and CAD all use right hand rule coordinate space definition. That means your printer's (0,0,0) position (its origin) has to be at the left front (LF) or right rear (RR) of the printer, viewed from the front of the printer. If you set it to the left rear or right front your prints will come out mirrored. Note I said the printer's origin is at LF or RR. The limit switches can be anywhere that is convenient but you must make sure the origin is LF or RR. If you want to use the LF origin, and the X axis limit switch is at the right end of the X axis, you have to tell the controller that the X axis homes to maximum, and then assigns the proper ordinate value when it homes- maybe 220 mm or whatever the length of your printer's X axis is.

The printer/bed origin at LF means the Y=0 switch should be at the rear of the printer because in that position the extruder is at the front edge of the bed. If the Y axis limit switch is at the front of the printer, the firmware has to be told that Y homes to max and the appropriate ordinate value (220 mm or however long your Y axis is) has to be loaded after a homing operation.

The slicer cares about the bed origin, not the printer origin, but it too must be at the LF or RR of the bed. The bed size you enter in the slicer are the printable dimensions. The bed may be physically larger than the printable area, but the slicer needs the printable dimensions only. If your printer's origin is the LF corner, the beds origin will be the closest printable point on the bed. If the printer's origin is some distance from the bed's origin, you enter the offsets as negative values. If you measure the offsets (if any) and printable bed dimensions carefully and enter them into the slicer, it will drop prints at the center of the printable area of the bed for you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 10:06PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 13, 2017 12:47AM
ok, a picture is beginning to form.... My newbie mind is getting there smiling smiley only 5 weeks into this now I think...

I am having a little trouble warping my head around the origin being away from the stops but I see what your saying.

now how to put it into practice... I am going with the LF-origin option.

my end stops are x-left and y-rear
my printable area is x-150mm and y-130mm

I am exploring the configuration.h now looking for the appropriate settings to bugger with...

Thank you much

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2017 12:48AM by JustSumGuy.
June 13, 2017 01:19AM
OK recording my settings for posterity:

#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
#define USE_YMAX_PLUG changed
//#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG

#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true changed
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1 changed
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS 150
#define Y_MAX_POS 130
#define Z_MAX_POS 150

Testing
June 13, 2017 01:47AM
Problem solved!

Thank you very much!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login