Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New DIY printer issues and questions

Posted by sylviatrilling 
New DIY printer issues and questions
June 14, 2017 01:25PM
Using CURA 15.04.6 on my macbook pro, getting gcode to printer via SD card (computer and printer are in different rooms). Using a new DIY PRUSA i3.

I have noticed not all settings I set in CURA get to the printer. I raised layer cooling time to 10 seconds but as I watch the hands and feet of the model print, it wasn't even giving 5 seconds before going up to the next layer. I also noticed the model rocking from side to side a bit as the print head moved across it. It looks like the head and back third of the model printed out ok and then I got the rocking and fine filaments and a layer shift where the model went to the widest area. I'm guessing each layer needs more time to cool but how to get that parameter to the printer?

ANy other ideas for improving the quality of the print?
Attachments:
open | download - bear.jpg (509.5 KB)
Re: New DIY printer issues and questions
June 15, 2017 05:42AM
if its pla use a layer fan, but you also looking like your printing too hot and too much material, i would look at calibrating your extruder, what temps, material you printing?

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 15, 2017 10:27AM
pla, 210
June 15, 2017 11:26AM
I'd start much closer to the lower temperature printed on whatever PLA you are using. Start with a small calibration square and see how that goes. Also, what print speed is being used? I can print Hatchbox White @ 180 when using 30-60 mm/s
June 15, 2017 03:46PM
Thanks. I printed the one in the photo at speed 40. I printed another one at speed 10 which solved the layer shift but didn't help with the legs. I tried lowering the nozzle temp to 200 and extruding 99% then tried temp 190 and extrude 95%. Still got the mess on the legs and at 95% the shape was not filled out correctly. I am setting the bear model aside and printing a simpler model for now.

Also I was printing that bear very small to shorten print time, it is 30 mm for the longest dimension. Is that just too small to get the legs to print cleanly?

Edit: doing a simpler model and getting crisper results with the nozzle temp set to 180.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2017 09:24PM by sylviatrilling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login