Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inconsistent filament extrusion (with picture)

Posted by adenton 
Inconsistent filament extrusion (with picture)
June 19, 2017 06:30PM
Hello,

I had recently got my printer working successfully, until just now when I tried to print. The filament is coming out inconsistently, but there is no blockage and the gears to do not seem to skip. This makes it very difficult to get prints to stick (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Qt9P6bsuKLaDlZZ3JoV0pDUzhvd3A3UDVnbWI4RWhNMXMw/view?usp=sharing).

Maybe there are some changes I need to make in Sli3er, I'm not sure. I'd really appreciate any suggestion and can provide more information about the settings I am using if that helps.
Re: Inconsistent filament extrusion (with picture)
June 20, 2017 01:35AM
How does it look, when you extrude some filament while the nozzle is way above the bed?
Maybe your nozzle is to close to the bed and the stepper skips steps?

Did you check the drive gear is fastened? Sometimes they come loose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2017 01:36AM by o_lampe.
June 21, 2017 09:07PM
When I extrude some filament while the nozzle is above the bed, here is what it looks like following the commands G92E0 and G1E50F50 (video: [drive.google.com])

It does seem like the filament comes out inconsistently but the gears aren't skipping and the is no jam. Not sure what's going on.
June 22, 2017 01:53AM
That really looks odd. I can only guess, the hobbed bolt isn't cut evenly.
Don't you want to try a direct drive extruder instead? Or is it 3mm filament?
June 22, 2017 06:28AM
You might lightly grip the filament between your thumb and finger as it's going in and see if you can feel if it's acting the same as when it's existing the nozzle. If it feels like it's continuously moving then the nozzle is probably building/releasing pressure so it would be an internal problem.
June 22, 2017 11:51AM
The gears seem to move OK so as O_lampe says. Have a look at the hobbed bolt including that it is concentric to the drive gear no filament jammed in the teeth. Also check the tensioning wheel is concentric. Also the filament is running in the groove if it has one.
June 23, 2017 04:09PM
I guided the filament with my fingers and it extruded much smoother! I tightened the --um, I'm blanking on the name of it, but its made of the two screws with springs on them that create tension on the filament to pull it through. Although, now its so tight that the springs don't actually do anything, but I guess that's alright. My hobbed bolt probably isn't the best, but everything seems a bit better now!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login