Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer woes

Posted by bobmorning 
First layer woes
August 07, 2017 06:14PM
I will be very brief:

New PRUSA i3 user. Bed leveled but first layer is a mess more often than not.

I have upped the temperatures, increased the skirt printing, and are using all the other tips found on this site (and others).

I have noticed that after printing the skirt, things start to settle down but by then I have a mess in the middle of the print area.

How can I print the skirt away from the main print area and then have the extruder move to the print area to continue printing.

I have the skirt printing 5 loops and at 50 % speed. It appears that the extruder just isn't up for final printing until a fix portion of filament has been passed through.

I understand this is addressing a symptom rather than tackling the problem but I'm so frustrated. I am using 1.75 Hatchbox PLA with a recommended temperature of 180-210. I am printing at 210 with a bed temp of 65. Using blue painters tape. Have tried Z offsets of .1, .2 and .3 in both directions.

Thoughts/comments/ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 06:15PM by bobmorning.
Re: First layer woes
August 07, 2017 10:46PM
Its hard to diagnose the problem when the only description is "a mess" Like say say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

As for printing the skirt away from the print im not sure if you can do that, but one thing you can do ass add a nozzle prime in the start g-code, this will push plastic through the hotend before moving from the home position, this will also mean you can reduce your skirts to 1 or 2 loops just to make sure the plastic is flowing nice and sticking to the bed.

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

The above g-code is set for a 3mm prime but you can increase of decrees as needed.
August 08, 2017 06:57AM
In Slic3r there is a distance from object parameter. I typically run 1 loop at 6mm from objects and only 1 layer.

You don't say what your printing but if you are printing a single object that's less than about 25mm x 25mm you can run into issues with detail as well so print 2 parts at the same time. (Generates a larger skirt to help the 1st layer)
August 08, 2017 03:17PM
Do you mean skirt or brim ?
A skirt is normally printer a certain distance away from the object and is preset in the slicer settings (adjustable).
A brim is several loops around the object and attached to the outer perimeter of the object (normally used to increase bed adhesion of the object).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login