Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not printing on top of each other

Posted by Detailed design 
Not printing on top of each other
January 07, 2018 07:01AM
Got an issue getting my new printer to print on top of each other. Seems to put each layer next to the last.
I was thinking it may have been trying to build up on the Y axis instead of the Z axis if thats a possibility ???

Any help would be great. Thanks heaps
Re: Not printing on top of each other
January 07, 2018 08:23AM
Do you have a photo? This sounds more like loss of steps.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 07, 2018 07:48PM
Wont let me load the pic cause its too big.
How can i shrink its size?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 01:19AM by Detailed design.
January 08, 2018 05:38AM
Detailed design
Wont let me load the pic cause its too big.
How can i shrink its size?

I use gimp to modify image files personally.

As an alternative you can host the picture on a hosting website and provide a link.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
January 08, 2018 06:33AM
January 08, 2018 07:45AM
As its a new printer:-
Make sure you calibrated all the axis. Looks like you may need to level the bed , = Z height adjustement, and take a look at the temperatures.
As Srek mentioned you may need to adjust the driver settings to avoid missing steps. Also check belts are tight and that drive gears are tight with grub screws on the shaft flats.
January 08, 2018 08:01AM
Im working off cura and its giving me some heats etc to go off.

Im using esun fillament on a zonestar z8xm2 machine.

I levelled the bed, checked it a couple of times and even ran the auto level feture after and all was good there.

I had to enter my own dimensions for the centre offset of the board as it was printing in the front corner as centre.

It seems like the fillament is coming out patchy.

Belts and hardware are 100% correct. Triple checked that.

It seams like its forgetting where its ment to stay and just tracks away.
January 08, 2018 09:20AM
That image shows missing steps. Have you adjusted Vref for the driver correctly? It looks as if the current for the motor is set to low. Alternatively you might have mechanical problems that make the carriage lock up. Is the motor getting hot? If yes it's likely a mechanical problem, if it is cold the current might be to low.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 08, 2018 11:06AM
Vref?
Not sure about any of this stuff you mentioned.
Too new to this stuff. My 1st time printing etc
January 08, 2018 01:52PM
Where did the printer come from. If it was a complete system this should have been done for you. If you made it yourself you should read up on adjusting the driver current using the reference voltage.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 08, 2018 02:10PM
Interesting issue, for printers that use standard controllers we can adjust the vref and solve these issues easy enough, but this zonestar z8xm2....

I went to the zonestar3d.com website to see if there was some info, they don't even list that model of printer let alone any documentation on the controller...

I found a pic of the controller and I can see the pots beside the driver chips, but I don't have a clue where to measure the voltage being adjusted, cant even tell if turning it clockwise turns them up or down....

Check the manual that came with it and or contact your seller for support.....
January 08, 2018 04:20PM
Oh ok yeah there was something about adjusting those in the cd manual. Ill go check them out and see what to set them too etc. Thanks.
January 08, 2018 04:21PM
It was a diy kit from gearbest.com web site
January 10, 2018 05:10AM
No luck. Had a look over the manual and its got a different circuit board to me and that shows where to measire voltage but mine doesn't have those parts.
It does have the adjusters but also says it should be set from factory.
January 10, 2018 05:10AM
No luck. Had a look over the manual and its got a different circuit board to me and that shows where to measire voltage but mine doesn't have those parts.
It does have the adjusters but also says it should be set from factory.
January 10, 2018 11:15AM
shoot us a pic of the controller, maybe someone will recognize it and we can offer more info.
January 10, 2018 07:45PM
January 10, 2018 08:02PM
Ok you have basic A4988 step sticks on there so setting the vRef should be easy.

Take a look at this:

[reprap.org]

Thats pretty detailed and should have everything you need.

there are also videos on the subject, here is one:

[www.youtube.com]

All that is happening from what I can see and others seem to agree above, the power put to the stepper motors is too low and they are loosing position because of it.
If you turn them up too high tho you can cause the motors to over heat. Motors can run fairly hot but for me I try to keep them from going over 40-45c tho I have read they dont actually fail till much higher....
They dont get that hot until they have been printing for a while....
No need to run them over 45c unless they are under sized for the application tho, and I very much doubt that.

Work on each axis one at a time, don't just turn them all up and call it a day. Take your time.

As time goes on you will learn to hear when a motor skips a step, and you will whip out the multi meter and turn up that axis just a tiny bit smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 08:04PM by JustSumGuy.
January 22, 2018 07:49AM
Hey same problem out of the box. I have the ANet A8 from Gearbest. Did the above fix work?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login