Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print head drags one side of the model

Posted by Julian7 
Print head drags one side of the model
January 09, 2018 04:09PM
I am printing a sleeve to fit over a 6mm shaft that has a flat on the side. The first few layers print correctly but as the head moves up, it appears to drag the wider part of the sleeve (which will go over the flat) into the centre, collapsing the sleeve. See photos. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can avoid it?

Thanks very much,

Julian
Attachments:
open | download - bottom.jpg (202.6 KB)
open | download - top.jpg (238.5 KB)
Re: Print head drags one side of the model
January 09, 2018 05:40PM
What kind of 3D printer, style and firmware. (Cartesian, Delta, and Polar)

Could be a defective heatbed, Could be Need cooler fan for Model, Could be Z-Axis on one side not moving as far.

More information is needed,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 05:42PM by Roberts_Clif.
January 10, 2018 04:48AM
Printer is a Prusa I3 type. I can print other shapes without a problem. The bed is glass and heats to temperature as expected. I don't have any problem with adhesion to the bed.

When I watch this printing, the head goes around the circle, but then when it comes to fill in the flat part (see image attached), it seems to work from the outside inwards. As the head gets higher, each layer seems to be dragged slightly towards the centre of the circle by the head when it prints the next layer.

I am wondering if this is a problem because the piece is quite small, but has a tall aspect ratio (8mm diameter, 12mm tall). Cura has a print time of 5 mins for 61 layers, about 5 seconds a layer. Does it need longer with a small part for a layer to harden before the next is extruded? I see Cura has an option for minimum layer time. Does anyone have experience with this or any guidelines?

Thanks,

Julian
Attachments:
open | download - 3dp.jpeg (41 KB)
January 10, 2018 08:03AM
Is this the normal small object printing issues?
Print several at the same time so that each layer takes longer and allows the material to cool before the next layer. Run a cooling fan.
January 10, 2018 09:05AM
When printing Items that are small you either need to print slower. I have printed tiny models at 10mm/sec or print it on the bed with another model.
Unless you can need many of the models then print more than one at a time.

Have you set your slicers configuration to minimal layer time (sec) 3. This will automatically adjust your print speed for smaller models.
January 10, 2018 04:02PM
This could be a case of over extruding,have you calibrated the extruder ?
January 11, 2018 05:11PM
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I followed Roberts_Clif's suggestion and printed at 10mm/s. The print is now exactly as I expect.

Julian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login