Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low Steps Per mm - Cause, effect, solution?

Posted by kdsonone 
Low Steps Per mm - Cause, effect, solution?
January 10, 2018 05:11PM
Hello All,

I am building my own 3D Printer - Graber i3. I have followed all the necessary steps to configure the Marline firmware.

I am using the Ramps 1.4 controller board and the A4988 driver. The stepper motor I am using for X, Y and Z axis has 1.8-degree step angle.

I have used the Pursa Calculator to calculate the steps for X, Y, and Z axis - 80, 80, 1600 based on the GT2 pully-belt and 2mm threaded rod - screw system.

ISSUE:

* When I am using the calculated steps for the X, Y and Z axis I am observing higher movement (i.e 10-15 mm when I want to move 1mm)
* I have calibrated the movement by reducing down the calculated steps -
now the new steps are X=6.5, Y= 6.5 and Z = 26.66

1. My question is why I am getting such a lower steps per axis?
2. How can I get more accurate movement without skipping/slipping of the motor?

Please help

Thank you

Kunal
Re: Low Steps Per mm - Cause, effect, solution?
January 10, 2018 05:55PM
It sounds as though you don't have the microstepping jumpers fitted underneath the drivers.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Low Steps Per mm - Cause, effect, solution?
January 16, 2018 01:11PM
GT2 timing belt and pulleys should give you values near the 90 steps/mm point with motors that are 200 steps/revolution, and 16X microstepping.

As stated above, check that there are jumpers under the stepper motor drivers on your RAMPS board. Under each A4988 there will be a group of 3 jumpers. If they are all closed (Jumpers present) then you should have 16X microstepping, which will give you the kind of resolution that you're looking for.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login