Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament swirling

Posted by serdar415 
Filament swirling
April 03, 2018 03:04AM
Hello. I have a problem with my filament. Approximately in evey 20 minutes the filament is turnin around itself. The tension pulls the filament out of feeder and ruins the print. I have to turn around the spool to release the tension. Is this because of a bad filament or is it something about the feeder mechanism?
Attachments:
open | download - 20180311_053402-1.jpg (327.6 KB)
Re: Filament swirling
April 03, 2018 03:36AM
I had similar twists with PLA spools, when they were almost empty. Maybe the filament gets stiffer from aging, or it is caused by the smaller radius, IDK.
If it gets too bad, I unroll the whole spool and let the filament hang down. That way it can untangle itself.

There's also a chance, the grooved idler bearing of the MK8 extruder is not in line with the throat of the hotend. That may cause the extruder to twist the filament.
On my Prusa i3, I had to add a washer to align the lever arm with the throat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 03:36AM by o_lampe.
April 06, 2018 03:04PM
I have removed the extruder fans and chek the bearing. The idler and bearing are aligned with the throat of the hot end. But the hole on the lever arm is positioned
few mileters infront of the throat. If ıt was behind it i could put a washer to align but at this position I have nothing to do. Will it work if i drill a new hole on the lever arm ?
Attachments:
open | download - 20180406_213041.jpg (493.2 KB)
open | download - 20180406_212805.jpg (535.9 KB)
April 06, 2018 03:13PM
What does the spool holder look like?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 06, 2018 04:58PM
I have changed the spool with a better flament.
It looks like ok for now.
Spool is like this...
Attachments:
open | download - 20180406_235521.jpg (496.7 KB)
April 06, 2018 08:37PM
There is the issue. Flip it so its going over the top of the roll and not from under it!
April 06, 2018 11:03PM
That makes things worse I tried. I think the previous cheap flament had some problem.
The new " pla plus "spool stays stable for an hour. I ll try printing a 3 hour session tomorrow.
April 07, 2018 03:29PM
During 3 hours if printing, there wasn't any twisting on flament.
Thanks for your help.
April 30, 2018 02:19PM
o_lampe
Maybe the filament gets stiffer from aging

PLA gets significantly more brittle after absorbing water from the air.
May 03, 2018 01:18AM
My solution is to use a spool hub with a bearing and then a PTFE tube guide secured to the frame going to the extruder. This combination allows the filament to unspool smoothly from the pulling force of the drive gear without getting yanked by the movement of the print head, or pushed back by retraction. You sometimes hear this referred to as a reverse bowden.

I use this for the hub customized for the spool hole size and a 608 bearing. [www.thingiverse.com]
Then I use this for the block to secure the PTFE tube to the frame. [www.thingiverse.com]

I never have filament pop off the rim of the spool anymore with this setup and there are no more artifacts from the print head yanking on the spool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login