Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Could use some advice on how to sucssesfully print the R.E. T-Virus helix

Posted by 77slevin 
Could use some advice on how to sucssesfully print the R.E. T-Virus helix
September 13, 2018 04:51AM
Hi,

I'm trying to print a the T-Virus helix like structure from Resident Evil (I found various models on Thingiverse) with my Prusa i3 MK3 with as little supports as possible to get a clean print. My preferred plastics it PETG, got some nice transparent green and blue, and the print starts out beautifully but fails at the last centimeters because the bed and print wobbles. I have reduced speed in printing and travel, 0 infill and the nozzle is the standard 0.4.

Ideally I would only add supports to the last parts, but don't know which software allows you to do something like this. I've used the Prusa Slic3r and Ultimaker Cura. Both software only have the option to start from bed or overall supports, not selective. I'm attaching a photo of just 1 attempt, but believe me: I've been at it a whileeye popping smiley
Any printers on here that succeeded previously in this type of endeavor?

Addition: I've also tried to print this with full supports, but the structure is overwhelmed with so much plastic it really drags the quality of the print down after supports removal.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1017.jpg (65.5 KB)
Re: Could use some advice on how to sucssesfully print the R.E. T-Virus helix
September 13, 2018 06:27AM
Have to tried to print it sideways with a brim?
You could also try to reduce extrusion ratio, because it looks like the nozzle scratches across the previous print.
September 13, 2018 06:42AM
Not yet, I'll have a go at it this evening. And you're right, I did hear like it made contact on the object for the last part.
Problem with me being a newbie at this: I don't exactly know yet how to remedy encountered problems. I will also try with reducing the extrusion ratio. Thanks.
GR
September 15, 2018 02:33PM
Hi,
Not sure if you were able to print your helix.
We gave it a try and printed it in ABS,

As you can see, we decided to print the part horizontally, requiring few supports only. The helix was sliced in Cura, I will create a post with Cura settings for ABS, you will be able to tweak the values.
The resolution can be increased, we have used 0.3 mm layer height, but you can print it at 0.1mm for a nicer finish.

George Gal
DustnPrint Evangelist
www.dustnprint.com/blog
September 15, 2018 05:30PM
That's great, it look so clean. May I ask how you can be so selective with your supports? You only have a few at choice points. If I select "supports from build plate only" in Slic3r for Prusa, I get a ton of unnecessary supports which devalue the print, in my opinion.

My solution so far has been to split the part in 2, print top and bottom as separate parts, and slow down the entire print with the M220 S25 command. It's slow as molasses, but that way it gives me the quality I strife for in this print.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1026.jpg (132.5 KB)
GR
September 16, 2018 07:42AM
Hi There,
It took us 1h35min to print the whole part.
We have used Cura not Slic3r. If you download the Cura profile we posted in the forum, you can adapt it for PLA.
You can leave a bigger gap between the model and your supports but you need to print in higher resolution than 0.3mm for instance.

I will look into Slic3r, maybe some day next week,

Cheers,

George Gal
DustnPrint Evangelist
www.dustnprint.com/blog
September 16, 2018 04:19PM
Thanks for taking the time to help me. I will look into your Cura profile. I have used Cura for my other printer, an Anycubic Kossel Delta printer, and it's equally an easy program to use. I've added a finished product photo (Did it with the split model) just need to get rid of the strings, but I'm happy with the result.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1027.jpg (238.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login