Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a color mixing table or calculator for PLA?

Posted by offgrid 
Is there a color mixing table or calculator for PLA?
September 19, 2018 05:46AM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a table to roughly adjust the mixing percentages in my diamond hotend to get certain colors.

Any ideas?
Re: Is there a color mixing table or calculator for PLA?
September 19, 2018 08:42AM
I have not experimented with color mixing though you can Start looking here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 08:42AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
September 20, 2018 12:37AM
It depends on the colors you want to mix? RGB mixing tables are out there as well as CYM. The real colors are often a bit 'off', so the results may vary.
Deckingman made an interesting calculation, how good or bad extreme mixing ratios work. (99% vs 1% = no way )
September 23, 2018 06:33AM
Thanks so far. I'd like something like

color 1 IN %
color 2 IN %
(color 3 IN %)

=> result color WYSIWYG

But I guess it's easiest to play with the percentages until the colors right.
September 23, 2018 07:34AM
I would have to question the color mixing extruder,
Thinking about it would this really mix the colors if just spit them out like aqua fresh toothpaste in a distinctive pattern.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
September 23, 2018 11:18AM
Roberts_Clif
I would have to question the color mixing extruder,
Thinking about it would this really mix the colors if just spit them out like aqua fresh toothpaste in a distinctive pattern.

That's absolutely correct. As a long term user of Diamond hot ends, both 3 and 5 colour, I can confirm that they don't actually mix and what comes out of the nozzle is akin to stripey toothpaste. I once printed a 3 sided object with each face a different colour simply by orientating it on the build plate such that each face was towards one of the 3 filament inputs and setting the mixing ratio to 33% for each input. This stripey toothpaste effect can be negated to some extent by using transparent filaments such as this print [www.youtube.com] but not every object lends itself to being printed in transparent filaments.

M3D claim to offer full colour pallet with their quadfusion but I've yet to see any details on how the filaments are actually mixed, so I remain sceptical at this point in time.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
September 25, 2018 12:36PM
I'm just starting so you're probably right. No real mixing. But this 80% red 20% yellow did come out guite evenly:

September 29, 2018 12:30PM
OK here's a test with 72% green, 8% yellow and 20% black.
Doesn't work at all with my filament! Interestingly the black went mostly in the support structure.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An79_6jJO4vrjpcJ5qvqmu2Oa58UUw
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login