Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old? Prusa i3 Marlin 1.1.9

Posted by MustangR 
Old? Prusa i3 Marlin 1.1.9
September 21, 2018 06:17PM
Ok, NOOB alert...I have just recently completed...I think...configuration of this recent purchase of a Prusa i3 running Marlin 1.1.9.
I have successfully configured endstops (xyz) and homing is working correctly.
The problem I am having is when I print the attached gcode from attached .stl, the attached picture is what I have been getting.
It appears the z axis only prints the first 6 or 7 layers, and does not raise to the next layers.
What I have also noticed, around the same time, it looks as if the coordinates all shift backward a few mm and continues to print...basically a skewed cube is the best way I can put it.

Apologize for the description if not enough, but at least its something to "hate on" and I can correct with subsequent follow up.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (69 KB)
open | download - Tiny_Tester.gcode (572 KB)
open | download - IMG_5958a.JPG (630.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_5959a.JPG (883.2 KB)
open | download - Tiny_Tester.stl (389.7 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (71.9 KB)
Re: Old? Prusa i3 Marlin 1.1.9
September 21, 2018 10:01PM
Try attaching configuration.h not Conditionals.h

I would guess you have done what 99% of people do. you have assembled it, but you haven't configured anything beyond basic movement

firstly as far as objects go, start with a test cube, [www.thingiverse.com]

Go threw this Calibration_Guide [reprap.org]

It looks like like your extruding far to much plastic. but this may be that your movements are nothing like correct (eg if you extrude for 20mm but only move 10, you get twice as much plastic as you need)
Also your Y axis looks to be shifting, and your Z axis is not working correctly.
September 21, 2018 11:01PM
Wow...chalk that up to old man eyes. Attached configuration.h. I did however make several changes from stock firmware, of course the normal LCD/drivers, etc. and then mostly dealing with speeds xyz (had been a significant challenge for me getting max accel/feedrate/jerk/etc), and setting endstops up properly...and of course, assuming I even have these settings correct.

After I posted, I used a different slicer/print program (Cura) and "seemed to have a only slight improvement. BTW I was using Repetier and slic3r for printing.

Really appreciate your quick reply earlier!
September 24, 2018 06:22PM
Ok, retrieved the calibration cube you provided and went through the calibration steps. All of my axis' (XYZ) are moving the correct amount when exercised (i.e. 1mm, 10mm steps) and homing. I checked Y axis belt tension, and others, and all seem to be in good order. Attached is latest attempt at the test cube you provided and latest config files. Thanks again to the group for any help/guidance!
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (71.9 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (69 KB)
open | download - IMG_5969a.JPG (644.1 KB)
September 29, 2018 12:29PM
What nozzle size are you using? Seems like a 1mm nozzle to me. Make sure the correct nozzle size or extrusion width is configured in the slicer (about 1.25 times nozzle size).

The layer shifts points to either a belt slipping or missing steps, or feedrate/acceleration set too high. Check the motor current, use the guide to calibrate it. If all seems in order adjust the feedrate and acceleration. Stock firmware acceleration and velocity is usually way too high. Try these values:

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 80, 80, 1, 25 }
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION { 1000, 1000, 15, 500 }

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z and E acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 1000 // E acceleration for retracts
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non printing) moves

Once everything works you can try bumping up the feedrates and acceleration and adjust it to the capabilities of the machine.

If you own a display, I'd also consider enabling eeprom_settings so you can adjust things on the display and make them permanent (until you reset to firmware defaults). It saves a great deal of time not having to recompile and upload the firmware every time you change a setting.

Don't forget to store the settings or they will be lost whenever M500 is executed or the printer is power cycled.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
October 02, 2018 08:32PM
THANKS...Really appreciate your reply! This has been the most helpful information I have received to date. It helps me more clearly understand the purpose Feedrate and Acceleration. I made the changes and SUCCESSFULLY printed the 20x20 test block provided earlier!

Appreciate the tips, but I have not yet enabled EPROM, but can definitely see where that would save tons of time, especially now that I have it working properly and can store the values on the board.

Look forward to more interaction with the group, THANKS AGAIN!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login