Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing ultem (pei)

Posted by sss 
sss
printing ultem (pei)
September 25, 2018 04:48AM
i'm having difficulties with ultem filament sticking to my pie bed .
i got the bed at 130c , currently the max it can reach , still no go .
it seems glue stick does nothing at this temp , just evaporates .

tried kapton tape , also wont stick .

is higher temp on the bed is the only solution (i'm afraid it will permanently stick to the pie)?

printing temp is 370-390c , filament is 3dxtech cf ultem

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 04:49AM by sss.
Re: printing ultem (pei)
September 25, 2018 07:05AM
I believe you normally want to run the bed a little below the glass transition temp of the material you're trying to print. That's why ABS wants a 105C bed.

The glass transition temp for ultem is 215C. Since PEI is ultem, you probably don't want to try to use it on the bed at that temperature. If you manage to get the bed that hot and squirt some molten PEI/ultem on it, it will probably fuse permanently.

What sort of adhesive is holding the PEI on the bed? Is it rated for 215C? Not likely...

How much power do you have in the bed heater? You'll need a LOT of power. Will it get the bed that hot? Check it here: [jscalc.io]

Just a guess, but you probably need to print ultem in a warm enclosure, think oven...

I have printed ABS on room temperature PIR foam. You might be able to do the same with PEI/ultem...

Printing high melt temperature materials requires much more than just a hot nozzle.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
sss
September 25, 2018 09:08AM
this is from 3dxtech website:
Recommended Print Conditions:

Extruder Temp: 360 - 390°C (all-metal extruder)
Bed Temp: 140 - 160°C
Bed Prep: Ultem™ Tape, Polyimide Tape, Lightly sanded FR4 or Perf board.
Nozzle: 0.4mm or larger. We currently recommend our A2 Hardened Steel Nozzles - HERE
Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter. We do not recommend printing layers below 0.2mm with CF Grades.
Other: No cooling fan, Print speeds of 30mm/s (starting point)

i guess i can reach 140c on my bed with some little mods . i'm printing in enclosure but without active heating . i can make the enclosure hotter , but then i'll need to watercool the extruder , which will complicate things allot .
do you think that extra 10 degrees on the bed will make the filament stick ?

does anybody know any "glue stick" like adhesive that is suited for high temp , like the one used on kepton tape or on pie sheet ?
September 25, 2018 06:47PM
The stuff often sold for sticking pei to an alumnum bed is 3M 468MP: [3m.citrination.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
GR
September 28, 2018 01:00PM
We have not tested yet DustNPrint (www.dustnprint.com) at such high temperature since we are not equipped with such a printer, however, we will plan to test it in the coming weeks with the guys from aon printing (https://www.aon3d.com/)

We will let you know how it goes, if still interested.

Regards,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login