Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inconsistent Z-Axis surface defect on a Delta

Posted by OldJanmi 
Inconsistent Z-Axis surface defect on a Delta
September 27, 2018 04:47AM
As the title says, I noticed some very obvious side-surface defect on my prints with my Kossel Mini. Here are a few pictures of a part I printed in PLA at 210C with a 60C Bed.

As far as I can tell, this looks like Z-banding to me. Can anyone here confirm? I searched around for this issue in many threads and all of them showed a consistent pattern of bands. Maybe its just my untrained eye, but I cant figure out any patterns in the defects in my print.

This is the corner view of the same print, and on zooming in, you can see that the edge is almost wave-like and not completely square as it should be.

This is visible only when I do large prints, smaller prints(like a 20mm cube, for instance) come out fine. I have tried printing at lower and higher temperatures to no luck. I printed out a single wall cube to test for over-extrusion/under-extrusion, but that too came out fine and the layers were held together just fine. I have capped my feedrates at 100mm/s and Acceleration at 250, but I couldnt notice any change in the prints.
I have already installed vibration dampers on my motors and my printer is very quiet, (the loudest noise being the hotend cooling fan!)so I'm skeptical that this is due to vibrations from steppers. But at this point any suggestions are welcome.

Some things about my setup, maybe useful for debugging this problem:

Printer: Kossel Mini
Control: Arduino with Ramps
Steppers: Nema17 with A4988 drivers(My motors get quite warm at about 60C when used continuously, I always attributed it to the vibration dampers insulating the heat from the motor)
Hotend: E3D V6
HeatBed: 12V MK3 Aluminium Bed
Power Supply: PC SMPS with 24A on the 12V rail
Filament: Flashforge PLA (usually print this at 210C Hotend, 60C Bed)
Slicer: Slic3r

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2018 04:49AM by OldJanmi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login