Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Probe not homing

Posted by ali_aboshady 
Z Probe not homing
October 15, 2018 09:12PM
Hello everyone,
My printer used 3 min endstops fine. And I wanted to upgrade to make it auto level, so I added a Z Probe instead of the Z min endstop.
And when I tried homing the first time, the X and Y homed fine, but the Z axis started moving up and down randomly while squeaking.
I restarted and tried again, now it homes X and Y and then outputs "X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.0000 " and the Z axis doesn't move at all.
I wrote m119 to see if the Z Probe isn't working, but it's working fine and outputting signals at it should.

My Config:

#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z false
//
//
//
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET 2
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET_MODE 0
#define UI_BED_COATING 1
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 1
#define EXTRUDER_IS_Z_PROBE 0
#define Z_PROBE_DISABLE_HEATERS 0
#define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 10
#define Z_PROBE_PIN ORIG_Z_MIN_PIN
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 1
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 1
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 27
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 15
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST 0
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
#define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 4
#define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 1
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 2
#define Z_PROBE_DELAY 0
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_RUN_AFTER_EVERY_PROBE ""
#define Z_PROBE_REQUIRES_HEATING 0
#define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 150
#define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 1
#define FEATURE_SOFTWARE_LEVELING 0
#define Z_PROBE_X1 30
#define Z_PROBE_Y1 20
#define Z_PROBE_X2 190
#define Z_PROBE_Y2 20
#define Z_PROBE_X3 20
#define Z_PROBE_Y3 160
#define BED_LEVELING_METHOD 1
#define BED_CORRECTION_METHOD 0
#define BED_LEVELING_GRID_SIZE 5
#define BED_LEVELING_REPETITIONS 5
#define BED_MOTOR_1_X 0
#define BED_MOTOR_1_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_2_X 200
#define BED_MOTOR_2_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_3_X 100
#define BED_MOTOR_3_Y 180
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_A 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_B 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_C 0
#define FEATURE_AXISCOMP 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXY 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANYZ 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXZ 0
Re: Z Probe not homing
October 16, 2018 10:33AM
what firmware ?
October 16, 2018 06:37PM
Oh sorry, it's Repetier.
October 18, 2018 09:36PM
Unless it’s changed, I’m not sure you can do a Z probe without a Z Endstop. Last time I tried (it’s been about 2 years), the developer said if you do a Z probe, you still need a Z end stop. In my case they suggested a Z min end stop with a Z probe because it is a CoreXY with a cantilevered Z axis. I believe at the time their thinking was the Z end stop was for homing and Z probe is for bed leveling “after” it has been homed. And they wouldn’t let you use the probe as a homing switch like other firmwares. In the end, I gave up trying to do it with repetier and went back to marlin until I replaced the entire setup with the Duet 0.8.5 board I currently use today. But that was several years ago, so not sure if it’s still that way today.
October 19, 2018 10:49AM
Unless it’s changed, I’m not sure you can do a Z probe without a Z Endstop

Not the case now, i use repetier firmware and you can select the probe as the Z min endstop.
can you post or link the complete config.h pls so i can load it into the oline config tool.

What type of probe are you using ?
October 20, 2018 11:32AM
Thank you for replying. I've attached the config file.

Update: I now know why the Z Axis didn't move when homing; It's because it thought it was in the 0 position.
So, I moved it up, 100mm for example, and tried to home again. It responds, but not correctly.
It goes down while jittering and making noise, and goes down only about 30mm.
And it states that the Z position is in the 0 position, regardless of the Z Probe sensing an object or not.

I'm using an Inductive, NPN-NO Output LJ12A3-4-Z/BX:
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2018 01:23PM by ali_aboshady.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (36.2 KB)
October 20, 2018 04:40PM
You have a normally open probe, yet in your config you have it configured as a normally closed which would account for it showing as triggered all the time.

I have made the corrections in the atached config.h file, hopfully it should sort out the problem.

I notice you have all 3 axis steps/mm set at 100, is this correct.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (36.3 KB)
October 21, 2018 01:58PM
OMG grinning smiley it worked!!
Thank you SOOO much for your help.
You may think it was a small mistake, but you really made my day.

Anyway, I'm using Repetier Host to control the printer, and I made some changes in the eeprom menu.
I changed the axis' feed rates; X: 150, Y: 150, Z:800. And I thought this gets saved in the Config file. Guess not.

So, the homing is working, but there's a small issue with it. The nozzle hits and goes past the heatbed while homing, and stays past the bed after it finish.
I've recorded this, but couldn't attach the video here, so here's the link: [www.youtube.com]
I let it get down and just before it hits the heatbed (soft object as a demo in the video), I trigger the probe (in my hand, not shown in the video).
I've searched online and tried to change some settings, but it didn't work.
PS: This also used to happen with the Z endstop switch. It almost broke the nozzle once. And it DID break the endstop.

Could you help me with that?
Also when/how does the actual auto level start?

Again, thank you so much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2018 02:03PM by ali_aboshady.
October 21, 2018 05:39PM
Hi.
So what is happening is the Z homing is getting the position of the probe trigger point (where it goes up and down), the firmware then is adding the setttings you have for Z probe Z offset of 2mm, (you should really set this to 0.
it then adds the Z probe height (this is the value you adjust for the distance from bed too nozzle when the probe triggers.

so set
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET 0 (called coating thickness in the eeprom)
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 2 ; adjust this so Z0 is a paper thickness between bed and nozzle.

send G32 S2 to start the auto bed levelling, the S2 tells it to store results into the eeprom.
October 22, 2018 04:57PM
It's fixed now smiling smiley
And everything is working fine... till now. Maybe I'll get some surprises in the near future.
Anyway, I can't thank you enough for helping me.
I hope the best for you smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login