Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor moving slowly after failed firmware upgrade

Posted by welo78 
Motor moving slowly after failed firmware upgrade
December 13, 2018 01:43PM
Hello, I just assembled a Ender 3 but immediately after I got it I opted for upgrading the firmware via a USBtinyISP. Unfortunately after a few minutes of uploading (Marlin 1.1.9) it said that the upload failed. When I was 100% sure I soft bricked the machine, the firmware was there ! It actually managed to write to the board.

I wanted to dial in the extruder so I heated up and wanted to extrude (vref was set to 0.7) but the motor would just vibrate/buzz/move very very slowly. So I figured the motor is a bust, but when I switched the X and E motor plugs the motor was just fine (after moving X axis via LCD the extruder motor moved). When I tried to move the E motor (now as an X axis, and heated up) it moved/buzzed but again very very slowly.

What I tried is changing the vref to 1V - nothing

Uploading the bootloader - failed
avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x3e000
         0xff != 0x0d
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Tried burning a small sketch - success
Tried burning actual Marlin (again) - fail
Tried burning small sketch to Arduino Mega 2560 board - success
Tried burning actual Marlin to Arduino Mega 2560 board - fail
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801 (probably m2560)
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\MARTIN~1.VEL\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_121131/Marlin.ino.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (151992 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 243.24s

avrdude: 151992 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\MARTIN~1.VEL\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_121131/Marlin.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\MARTIN~1.VEL\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_121131/Marlin.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\MARTIN~1.VEL\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_121131/Marlin.ino.hex contains 151992 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ##################An error occurred while uploading the sketch

I do not think that "reinstalling arduino" will help. I am thinking that maybe the driver might be bad ? Or so help me god I hope it is the wrongly flashed firmware ? I think it fails because of the veryfing process which stops half way ?

Thanks for any ideas or what could I try next. The USBtinyISP is from aliexpres .. I just orderer a USBasp from Atmel which should do the job if there is something wrong with the chinese one. I still dont get why I cant upload Marlin to any of the board I have.
Re: Motor moving slowly after failed firmware upgrade
December 13, 2018 04:55PM
Which version of the Arduino IDE do you have installed? I had 1.1.8 fail on me, because I was running an older version, but it worked fine once I upgraded. YMMV.

If it's able to upload (and presumably run) a different sketch, then it could be a compile error with the newer source code.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
December 13, 2018 10:44PM
The Ender-3 doesn't come with a mega2560 chip... its a 1284p

unless you have replaced it, or is a newer controller....

Check the number on the chip
December 13, 2018 10:48PM
Also from the usbtinyisp manual

"What chips can be programmed?
Any AVR that uses the ISP interface for programming and has 64K or less of flash can be programmed.
Chips such as the Atmega1280/1281 and Atmega2560/2561 have more than 64K and cannot be programmed."

so you cannot use this device

So use it to put a boot loader on the chip then upload via usb/serial (that should work)
From memory uploading the boot loader also errors, but still works, and usb/serial upload has no errors

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 10:52PM by Dust.
December 14, 2018 01:48AM
Well a few updates:

- from browsing the interwebs, the problem with non moving/ hectical moving of a motor is represented by a failed motherboard (read stepper driver) directly on the board

- i tried uploading JUST the bootloader onto Atmega 2560, no success

- i did not try uploading bootloader to the Ender 3 board, since I wanted to test the ability to programme anything on bunch of Atmega 2560s that I have, to be sure I do not brick the machine

- i failed uploading any bootloader to any of the Atmega 2560's I have

- from the uploading chitchat of the arduino ide, I found out that the code itself writes to flash, but when verifying it fails (because of mismatch)

@Dust yeah , I know that ... I was just trying to "test" whether the programmer works as intendeded, only thing I have to programme are the 2560s

@SupraGuy , I have the newest version, I even tried the trick when you open a sketch via the open file, not by doubleclicking on the .ino (some users claimed this helped them)

Few questions:
- Does the ender 3 run on a 24v ?
- I know it uses A4988 drivers, Can I plug in a Ramps board with A4988 drivers ?
- I am a huge fan of Klipper and have a MKS Gen 1.4 board to try it out with, I think this might be a good time to test until a new Ender 3 board arrives (30 €). Any suggestions ?
December 14, 2018 02:09AM
if you have a mega2560 (or any other arduino) you can install ArduinoISP on it and turn it into a isp programmer that can program any other atmel chip.

eg [www.instructables.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 02:16AM by Dust.
December 14, 2018 07:19AM
@Dust

ya, the problem are the prerequisites

-100nF capacitor - do not have, where can I find one ? what home appliance can I tak apart ?
December 14, 2018 11:16AM
100nF is 0.1uF. These are common disc capacitors in many things, a dead computer PSU should have dozens.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login