Is this magnetic bed save-able?
January 30, 2019 11:03AM
I bought this magnetic bed from this LINK It has worked good for a while printing pla at 60c but it started wrapping after one bigger print and now I am not sure if its save-able.
Attachments:
open | download - photo_2019-01-30_17-03-14.jpg (62.4 KB)
open | download - photo_2019-01-30_17-03-18.jpg (91.6 KB)
Re: Is this magnetic bed save-able?
January 30, 2019 01:00PM
put it on the bed (best you can), heat it to 60c, if it doesn't flatten out its time for a new one.

If you can put something flat over it while heating, like glass....
January 31, 2019 03:16AM
Was it glued to the bed? I am using magnetic setups as well and never observed anything like this. While the magnetic foil is pretty soft and can deform easily when hot it does not exert a lot of force. Correctly glued it shouldn't warp at all.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 31, 2019 03:20AM
Another thing, the double sided tape used on that is only rated for 90°C long term, you should try to use 3M 9473 instead.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 31, 2019 10:54AM
The bottom part is glued correctly and won't move at all. This is the top "magnetic attachment" part that got damaged when the PLA started to wrap and the magnetism wasn't enough to hold it down anymore. I will try to warm it up and let it straighten out. I used it only on 60c max, survived around 10 small prints and it shit the bed on the first big one. Literally.
February 01, 2019 02:37AM
You used a magnetic foil directly to print on? I can see why this went wrong. The printhead will heat up the foil well beyond what it is meant to withstand and it will loose magnetism. You always need a top layer, be it FR4, PEI, steel, Buildtak or whatever.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 02, 2019 06:32AM
If you check the top post you can see that the build plate has a top layer, but its not really rigid/solid I guess it wasn't much.
February 02, 2019 08:05AM
BoKKeR
The bottom part is glued correctly and won't move at all. This is the top "magnetic attachment" part that got damaged when the PLA started to wrap and the magnetism wasn't enough to hold it down anymore. I will try to warm it up and let it straighten out. I used it only on 60c max, survived around 10 small prints and it shit the bed on the first big one. Literally.

Do you mean you print directly on this sheet expecting its magnetism to hold the PLA print ????

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 02, 2019 09:11AM
Oh God No! Please check the original products link. It consists of 2 and magnetic Sheets. One you glue down on the bed and one that you put on top. The one on top is sticking to the one on the bottom. I printed on the one on the top but it started to wrap at the edges. I would say that the top sheet has lost its magnetism
February 02, 2019 10:41AM
The one you print on is not made with a thin steel foil plus a sheet of printbite ? All "plastic" ?
Gee, indeed looks like crap and behave the same. smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 02, 2019 11:45AM
BoKKeR
Oh God No! Please check the original products link. It consists of 2 and magnetic Sheets. One you glue down on the bed and one that you put on top. The one on top is sticking to the one on the bottom. I printed on the one on the top but it started to wrap at the edges. I would say that the top sheet has lost its magnetism
That’s whati meant. You need an additional top layer on the top magnetic foil to make this work. PEI, FR4, steel or whatever you like, i would not use glass though

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login