Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Gen V1.4 steppers not moving - none of them.

Posted by Sashap 
MKS Gen V1.4 steppers not moving - none of them.
May 09, 2019 02:10PM
HI,
I have MKS Gen V1.4 board brand new. Using a4988 steppers, 42SHDC3025-24B steppers. All wiring is correct and verified across sources and spec sheets. This same hardware all worked (but using different board) in the exact same configuration using Ramps board prior to the changeover. Zero movement or even a hint of movement from the motors. All else responds well in pronterface. End stops all reporting exactly as intended, heat good, fans good etc. Temperature of stepper driver heatsinks good on idle. When I do a test print for example, pronterface says all started good, heats up ok then nothing. I don't know any codes to send to pronterface other than m119. When I click the graphical motor directions no response from printer and the delay on the pronterface status log is about a few seconds before any text appears but still no movement. No heat change on driver heatsinks etiher at that point. M119 does return correct status instantly with no delay though.
I used board 33 on Marlin. What am I missing? Please? I have been trying for a week now without wanting to bother anyone, but here I am...
Re: MKS Gen V1.4 steppers not moving - none of them.
May 09, 2019 04:45PM
Sashap
HI,
I have MKS Gen V1.4 board brand new. Using a4988 steppers, 42SHDC3025-24B steppers. All wiring is correct and verified across sources and spec sheets. This same hardware all worked (but using different board) in the exact same configuration using Ramps board prior to the changeover. Zero movement or even a hint of movement from the motors. All else responds well in pronterface. End stops all reporting exactly as intended, heat good, fans good etc. Temperature of stepper driver heatsinks good on idle. When I do a test print for example, pronterface says all started good, heats up ok then nothing. I don't know any codes to send to pronterface other than m119. When I click the graphical motor directions no response from printer and the delay on the pronterface status log is about a few seconds before any text appears but still no movement. No heat change on driver heatsinks etiher at that point. M119 does return correct status instantly with no delay though.
I used board 33 on Marlin. What am I missing? Please? I have been trying for a week now without wanting to bother anyone, but here I am...

I am not sure from your post, does the hot end power up and show correct temperature on the LCD display?

The steppers do not move or buzz? If they buzz but not move then you just have to fiddle the stepper pins to the correct order. Check your "step sticks" to make sure that they are not plugged in one pin off or rotated 180 degrees.

Does the LCD power up when the USB is not connected and you apply external power?
If it does, then your power is properly connected. If the board does not power up when you turn on the external power with the USB disconnected then your PSU is either bad or you may have the power connected backwards or perhaps to the wrong connector.

Because none of the steppers move when commanded, then you have a central power failure. The MKS board will power up and talk, but not power the hot end or steppers if the external power is not getting to the board. Check for a fuse that is either missing or blown. Most boards fuse the 12/24V input, just in case. I am pretty sure that the problem has to be something basic and not too subtle.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
May 09, 2019 04:54PM
hot end and bed both power up and heat up perfectly. Pronterface and lcd both show correct values.
lcd works with/without usb.
May 09, 2019 05:11PM
Sashap
hot end and bed both power up and heat up perfectly. Pronterface and lcd both show correct values.
lcd works with/without usb.

Then your stepper drivers are installed incorrectly or the wires from the stepper motors are plugged into the wrong spots. There are not a lot of other options but wiring and stepstick drivers if all of the rest of the board is operating correctly.

Does your extruder operate when the hot end is hot? (it will not operate is the hot end is cold.) If it does, that means that your stepsticks are probably located correctly.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
May 09, 2019 05:21PM
wires and steppers are all same as before on previous board and it was all working then.
orientation is good. voltage is about .58 each one. extruder doesn't move either.
May 09, 2019 08:43PM
Unbelievable! Out of 10 drivers...8 are dead. 3 so bad that they suck so much power that the board goes dim. So, I can at least calibrate my printer by moving the two I have on hand (turning off all power before moving them ). I guess I need to order more. Any value to ordering different kinds? These are a4988 knockoffs. Does anyone recommend a different kind? And can I mix and match? Perhaps use the a4988 for my extruder and z and then something fancier, quiter etc for the x y.
May 09, 2019 10:03PM
Sashap
Unbelievable! Out of 10 drivers...8 are dead. 3 so bad that they suck so much power that the board goes dim. So, I can at least calibrate my printer by moving the two I have on hand (turning off all power before moving them ). I guess I need to order more. Any value to ordering different kinds? These are a4988 knockoffs. Does anyone recommend a different kind? And can I mix and match? Perhaps use the a4988 for my extruder and z and then something fancier, quiter etc for the x y.

I recommend that you don't buy from that vendor again.
Also, be careful with electronics (if you didn't already know that) and keep them in static bags. Do not touch them until you ground yourself, especially in really dry weather. I take my shoes off and go barefoot. Make sure that you don't touch electronics if you just sat in your chair or just got out it. Static kills parts. 8 of 10 parts is not a normal fallout, even for a cheap vendor.

DLC

May 09, 2019 11:30PM
I'm thinking that 5 of them were failed from my last board that I shorted out because something dropped on it. Either way, no, I am not buying from them again. Plus funny thing is that I actually do take off my shoes etc.
Thanks for your assistance though. I really do appreciate it.
May 10, 2019 02:25AM
Sashap
I'm thinking that 5 of them were failed from my last board that I shorted out because something dropped on it.

Ah! Letting people go on a hunt for a problem while witholding crucial info winking smiley

Anyway, good to know the problem is solved.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login