Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

about offset for different filaments

Posted by ruggb 
about offset for different filaments
May 19, 2019 01:02PM
It seems that my printer likes to have a different offset for PLA, ABS, PETG filaments.

I have the Marlin offset set at 0.23 for PLA. Seems to work good.
When I put ABS in, I get a rough first layer so I back it out another 0.10
I don't remember what I did for PETG as it has been a while.

Do other people experience this, or is it my imagination, or is it my printer?
If this is so, what causes that?

It is a home built CoreXY with Piezo endstop/probe, single E3D hotend and an MIC6 bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 01:04PM by ruggb.
Re: about offset for different filaments
May 19, 2019 02:20PM
Huummm.

I have printed my filaments at all my pre-configured profile layer heights without any problems.
Layer heights .05, .1, 1.5, .2, .24, .28, .3 could also have configured a .32 profile though did not think it was needed. I may rethink this decision.
It fact the lowest layer thickness I 3D Print for a quality Model is .15 and this takes almost double the print time for almost no difference in print quality.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 19, 2019 03:12PM
Clif - this has to do with offset == initial bed clearance not layer height.
Though LH probably affect the offset, everything else is the same except offset.

I am printing with 0.15 LH and 0.3 1st LH, but a smooth 1st layer for PLA == 0.23 offset and ABS == 0.33 offset.

205/200 for PLA and 245/240 for ABS
May 19, 2019 06:27PM
Oh!

I have an thumb screw adjustable Slide mounted Proximity sensor. that I use in conjunction with ' #define BABYSTEPPING '

Use a sheet of paper get nozzle close, Select model to print, when its printing the skirt adjust the layer height using LCD's baby stepping Z-Axis menu control.

When a print starts that the adhesion in not correct it can be quickly adjusted, after the print is complete you can simply tweak the thumb screw to change the next print height.
After about 3 Prints that were manually adjusted the rest print perfect until the Z-Axis get out of calibration again. In which case I Start the process over again.

And believe me my 3D Printer vibrates enough that checking the fasteners is a routine maintenance along with cleaning and lubricating.
The bed leveling screws change position so often that getting a single solid position is impossible. We all find what works for us, and this worked for me.

Before I had a mechanical Z-Axis end-stop switch and adjusted the Z-Offset value via the LCD control this took forever with many failed prints...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 06:42PM by Roberts_Clif.

May 19, 2019 09:11PM
mine is a corexy and it is solid as a rock.
The MIC6 plate is wonderful and all I need to do is 3 point leveling.
But the best part is the piezo endstop. It serves as a probe also, but I only used that once to level the plate.
As I said it is about offset, not bed calibration or 1st LH.

I worked out my offset to be 0.23mm. Printing PLA works fine at that offset.
when I switch to ABS I have to add 0.10mm to the offset to get it not to bunch up.

Since my bed is stable, it is not due to that. I can understand if you need to do that with an unstable bed, but you need to readjust it even if you only printed with PLA.

I can print with PLA all day and not change the offset.
It is only when I switch that I need to add/subtract to/from the offset.
May 20, 2019 09:19AM
Then set it in your Slicers Start.gcode and save separate profiles for PLA and ABS ect...

M851 - Z Probe Offset

Last line in start.gscode for PLA
M852 Z-0.23

May 20, 2019 09:37AM
Clif
the original post asked if anyone else had the same issue because I am trying to understand why I am having it and what causes it.
It is an occupational hazard of being an engineer.

I know how to handle it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login