Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel seems to have z height hysteresis

Posted by dlc60 
Kossel seems to have z height hysteresis
May 24, 2019 04:03PM
I have a slightly modified FLsun Kossle with linear rails that used to be a great performer. Lately I have noticed horrible first layers.
When I zero the bed with pronterface, I get a nice repeatable height. When I user CURA to print, I see that the head, instead of going to 0.18mm seems to go to about a .5mm and I have to use baby-stepping to put it in the correct place.
I am using CURA 3.6 and Marlin 1.1.8.

Has anyone seen and fixed this? This version of CURA has worked fine and I have used it for a while, so I do not suspect CURA. I recently updated my Marlin from to 1.1.8 and this is when the fun began. Initially the head stopped about 5mm off of the bed, but I found a bed level setting that I didn't disable in the configuration.h file (I do not use bed leveling.)

I started with the FLsun Kossel configuration files BTW.

thanks,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Re: Kossel seems to have z height hysteresis
May 31, 2019 10:02AM
Did you heat up the bed first before leveling? It may warp going from room temperature to print temperature. Do you use bang/back or bed PID? Bang/bang may rhythmically move the bed up and down, a bit like breathing smiling smiley

Check the custom gcode sections to see there's any offsetting pre programmed there. Something like
G92 Z0.5
or something similar.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
May 31, 2019 12:33PM
imqqmi
Did you heat up the bed first before leveling? It may warp going from room temperature to print temperature. Do you use bang/back or bed PID? Bang/bang may rhythmically move the bed up and down, a bit like breathing smiling smiley

Check the custom gcode sections to see there's any offsetting pre programmed there. Something like
G92 Z0.5
or something similar.

I heat the head and the bed, the bed does use "bang-bang", I have let that default operate on all of my printers, and bang-bang was what I used before.
I think that I may have found what was going on. When I moved to 1.1.8 I went to the example_configurations and pulled out the FLSun Kossel one to customize. I did this because the mechanics of my Kossel are based upon that FLSun kit - But I tossed everything but the linear rails and the 2020 extrusions. I used my own corners, end effector, extruder, hot end, bed, etc. I figured by starting there I'd at least get the pulley teeth right. Well... Hidden in that configuration file set were the settings for the piezo auto bed-leveling algorithms. I have since changed to a generic Kossel with no hidden assumptions where the default is no firmware bed-leveling. I will see if this makes the difference.

Also, for better or worse, I do my own custom gcode sections. Usually I don't mess them up. But when I do, it ISN'T subtle!

Thanks for the ideas, I had never considered the "breathing" thing. I may PIDTUNE my beds to see if that changes other odd things that I have seen over time.
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
May 31, 2019 07:38PM
Well. I gave up.
I was simply unable to get Marlin 1.1.8 to put the nozzle close enough to the bed to be able to print decently when using CURA gcode...
Until...
I realized that I had goofed the DELTA_RADIUS setting. Now it is working as it should. The first assumption that a person can never make, is that they did everything correctly the first time.

Bad assumption, no biscuit.
DLC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login