Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motors Not Moving just Beeping

Posted by Ryanrocksforever 
Stepper Motors Not Moving just Beeping
May 25, 2019 12:49PM
I am makink my own 3d printer, and I am having some issues, I do not know whether it is with the firmware or the hardware.

Problem

Whenever I try and move the x or y axis on my printer, either through protoneer or the LCD display, the stepper motors will just move a tiny bit and make a beeping noise, and not move any more. I am using Nema 17 stepper motors with A4988 drivers. I am using a rumba control board because I have dual extruders and dual z axis. I wired the dual Z axis motors in parallel, and the z axis works fine but all the other axis's do not. When I start a print on protoneer, it try's to home, but cannot so I just trigger the end stops my self, and when it starts printing all of the stepper motors work fine but the problem is is that it is not printing in the center because it cannot home. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW
I am using marlin configured for two extruders 5 end stops, and a reprap discount full graphical controller.
VDX
Re: Stepper Motors Not Moving just Beeping
May 25, 2019 02:26PM
... lower the speeds (stepper rates) drastically and/or check your microstepping settings ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 25, 2019 04:39PM
Thank you I will try this and I hope it will work.
May 28, 2019 11:48AM
Ryanrocksforever
I am makink my own 3d printer, and I am having some issues, I do not know whether it is with the firmware or the hardware.

Problem

Whenever I try and move the x or y axis on my printer, either through protoneer or the LCD display, the stepper motors will just move a tiny bit and make a beeping noise, and not move any more. I am using Nema 17 stepper motors with A4988 drivers. I am using a rumba control board because I have dual extruders and dual z axis. I wired the dual Z axis motors in parallel, and the z axis works fine but all the other axis's do not. When I start a print on protoneer, it try's to home, but cannot so I just trigger the end stops my self, and when it starts printing all of the stepper motors work fine but the problem is is that it is not printing in the center because it cannot home. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW
I am using marlin configured for two extruders 5 end stops, and a reprap discount full graphical controller.

Chances are good that the wiring is not correct to the steppers. This is easy to fix:
Remove all power to the controller.
disconnect the stepper cables from your controller.
Use a DVM to find the two windings in your stepper. A winding pair will be ones that measure something between them, mark the pairs.
Look on your Rumba board or the schematic for your Rumba board for stepper pins labeled "1A 1B" and "2A 2B", these are stepper winding pairs.
Connect your stepper wires such that one motor winding pair goes to "1A 1B" and the other to "2A and 2B".
Hopefully all your wires are the same color set, it will help you to connect the steppers the same for your X and Y.
Now test using your test program. Keep your finger on the reset button in case you have a stepper moving the wrong way!
If you have a stepper going the opposite direction of what it should, swap one of your winding pair's order, it doesn't matter which one.

This should take care of the issue.
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
May 28, 2019 05:12PM
Thank you I will try all of this
May 28, 2019 05:26PM
Ryanrocksforever
Thank you I will try all of this

One final note.
When you swap stepper motor wires around, do it at the 4-pin connector that connects to the controller board. They are easier to move than the ones at the 6-pin connector. Use sharp, pointy tweezers or a hobby knife to gently lift the plastic tab that holds the crimp in, just enough to slip the wire out.
It should be obvious what you need to do to get the crimped wire out.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
May 28, 2019 05:28PM
Ok thanks for all the advice
VDX
May 28, 2019 06:08PM
... and don't swap them with power on -- many drivers will wreck, when cutting the connection with current enabled eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 28, 2019 09:20PM
K thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login