Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E motors stops working after 1 layer

Posted by JorKsX 
E motors stops working after 1 layer
June 01, 2019 07:20PM
Hi. I am not retarted, I have been printing for 3 years, now one of my printer stops working after first layer.
My E motors just stops working after first layer. It cutts off voltage, measured from wires, 0v. others are 0.2-1.1 depents on the speed.
I have changed board, stepper drivers, cables, motors, tried marlin 1.1.8, then 1.1.9. then some ready configured marlins, all do the same.
Extruder does not click or anything, it just stops.
X Y and Z continues to print.
Im using reptier with slic3r PE.
Problem is not the cable or usb port.

Some testing I have done, if the first layer is printed 30mm/s, then seccond layer starts and it speeds up to 60mm/s, E stops
If first layer is 30mm/s and seccond one is 30mm/s E works fine, it does not stops.
E motor does not like the change of speed.
And my normal speed settings are like 80mm/s, now I cannot go over 30mm/s
if first layer is 30mm/s seccond one is also 30mm/s, and next 10 layers are 30mm/s, then I speed up to 80mm/s, E works fine, no problems.

Problem is only with the rapid change of speed when changing layers.
I have tried old cura, new 4.0 cura, s3d, no difference.

Ideas? Do I tear down the printer and melt it?
every other printer is working fine but this ender 3 is giving me headace.
Board is MKS gen L with 4 tmc 2208 runing in stealthchop
Re: E motors stops working after 1 layer
June 02, 2019 03:54AM
My guess is that the extruder stepper driver is going into thermal shutdown. Reduce the current setting on that driver, or try a new driver, or provide better cooling.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 02, 2019 06:23AM
dc42
My guess is that the extruder stepper driver is going into thermal shutdown. Reduce the current setting on that driver, or try a new driver, or provide better cooling.

I think I said that I have changed stepper drivers to new ones?
You cannot set the current on tmc2208 drivers on stealthchop, on UART yes.
Vref does not matter if it is 0.6v or 1.1v

How does thermal shutdown explain it that suddenly change of speed E stops.
June 02, 2019 05:25PM
Can it be a clog in the hotend? Some dust collected in the hotend melt chamber maybe, or if you use a bowden system, maybe the tube has build up too much resistance?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 03, 2019 03:02AM
Is the hot end maintaining temperature all the while?

Do you turn the print cooling fan full on at the start of the second layer? If so, try turning it on only partially, and full on at layer 11 (because you said that from layer 11 you can print at full speed). It's not uncommon for the print cooling fan to cause a large drop in nozzle temperature when it turns on.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 03, 2019 11:01AM
dc42

Do you turn the print cooling fan full on at the start of the second layer? If so, try turning it on only partially, and full on at layer 11 (because you said that from layer 11 you can print at full speed). It's not uncommon for the print cooling fan to cause a large drop in nozzle temperature when it turns on.

I just recently saw this happen. I put a new hot-end on one of my printers and have a custom designed part fan on it as well. When I hit the second layer and the fan came on at 100% (which is what I did with my last hot end), this cooled the hot end down so fast that the PID algorithm could not compensate and the firmware did a "Thermal Runaway" error and stopped the printer. I modified the part cooling shroud to a more accurate position and pulled back on the initial cooling rate to 60%. This allowed the PID temperature to recover better and get back to correct temperature, curing the problem.

Check the part cooling fan rate and reduce it to see if that helps.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
June 03, 2019 03:44PM
dc42

................................It's not uncommon for the print cooling fan to cause a large drop in nozzle temperature when it turns on.

I'd add to that "especially for the first few layers when the airflow can get deflected back from the build plate". Depending on the geometry of the cooling duct, as the print height increases, so the deflected air from the bed decreases.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
June 05, 2019 03:56PM
thank you everyone.
I've tested few things now. my print speed is 60mm/s
first layer is 30mm/s
after the first layer, it speeds up to 60mm/s and E stops working.
if 5sec BEFORE layer 2, I take speed down to 15mm/s and when it speeds to 60mm/s, its actually 30mm/s, then E works fine.
so basically E motor does not like the change of speed.

anyone who is asking about part coolng fan, my part cooling fan is at 35% max and 15% min.
Even at 255, I send command m106 s255, so part cooling fan 100%, my hotend temp drops to 252 and quickly raises back up. so its not PID issue.
And I've disabled thermal runway from marlin and I have disabled almost every hotend "protection" modes.
June 06, 2019 01:34PM
Well, you have changed everything but the printer itself.

We are running out of ideas, there is something here that we are missing.

What happened just before the extruder stopped working? Lightning storm, printer stored for 6 months, a new cat in the house (only kind of kidding)? Something happened to cause a change, we need to look for that "something".

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
June 07, 2019 12:39PM
exactly, I have changed almost everything but the wirires, motors bed and frame grinning smiley
what has changed? I moved from one house to another, I got a dog. I dont think anything else changed.
slic3r pe had new update but I dont remember was it before or after my problem.
Well I diched the mks and now waiting for skr board with new 2208 drivers.

if I still have the problem I seriously buy new printer.

[forum.repetier.com]

this is close to my problem, but this was to do something with thermal runnaway.
June 07, 2019 01:32PM
I don't know why you ignored my comment but it still sounds like a clog to me ^_^ I had the same issues, changed everything. Then I replaced the hotend and everything worked smoothly again from there on.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 08, 2019 12:47AM
Slicer PE and the new Prusa Slicer have one serious flaw (in my view). It disregards max feedrates, acceleration and jerk setting you have in your firmware. It instead takes the setting from its Printer setting|machine limits and generates gcodes to override the hardware limit you have set..

I wonder if you are falling foul of this...
June 08, 2019 06:05PM
Ohmarinus
I don't know why you ignored my comment but it still sounds like a clog to me ^_^ I had the same issues, changed everything. Then I replaced the hotend and everything worked smoothly again from there on.

not a clog, E motor would click for some time until over heat protection kicks in.
when I print normal speed 30mm/s, then suddenly change speed to +400%, E motors stops working, but everything else keeps going.

Dust
Slicer PE and the new Prusa Slicer have one serious flaw (in my view). It disregards max feedrates, acceleration and jerk setting you have in your firmware. It instead takes the setting from its Printer setting|machine limits and generates gcodes to override the hardware limit you have set..

yes I noticed this that new slic3r PE did this, but for some reason I liked the settings and everything worked fine after the first update that had this feature. But not working anymore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 06:07PM by JorKsX.
June 08, 2019 06:06PM
this problem started suddenly and just wondering what can it be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 06:09PM by JorKsX.
June 09, 2019 11:36AM
JorKsX
Ohmarinus

not a clog, E motor would click for some time until over heat protection kicks in.
when I print normal speed 30mm/s, then suddenly change speed to +400%, E motors stops working, but everything else keeps going.

Dust

yes I noticed this that new slic3r PE did this, but for some reason I liked the settings and everything worked fine after the first update that had this feature. But not working anymore

Do you get any errors on the printer when the extruder stops operating?

DLC

July 12, 2019 05:21AM
Did you try firmware retraction or deleting all of Slic3rs PE acceleration overrides?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login