Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

crinkled kinking

Posted by Geoleo 
crinkled kinking
June 10, 2019 12:29PM
Hey All,

I was having an issue with my direct drive having all the filament kinking just after the motor drive and bending before the hot end entry. this caused all the filament to run out from the side onto the table. I decided to go with a bowden indirect drive setup and now Im seeing the filament kink up inside the hot end and not pass through the nozzle. It will do when I first start the job (ie. skirt), but after a minute the motor starts to jump and the filament kinks.

the one touch fitting on top of the bowden gets very hot and will not release the PTFE. when I stop the job and let the hot end cool down I can release the PTFE and extract the filament and it is all kinked. I'm assuming this is a heating issue, but can't determine why. the top of the bowden gets to hot to touch.. the feed side, but the filament does not seem to be getting hot? Any troubleshooting ideas are appreciated.
i have a photo here.
[cloud.nadatech.com]
Re: crinkled kinking
June 10, 2019 12:51PM
Do you have a cooling fan running on the hot-end? Is the nozzle clogged? It sounds like heat is creeping up the throat and causing the plastic to soften and ultimately jam. A photo of the hot-end would be useful.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 10, 2019 02:18PM
I was thinking about this last night. I do not have a cooling fan installed. I had issues with the original one and never put it back on. The machine had run fine for months. I added the small fan back on for the bowden, but I can get it to turn on or at least when I do it tries to spin but does not. to do this I added the M106 S100 to my pre_setup as well as have speed set in Cura setup.

here are two more pics:
[cloud.nadatech.com]

[cloud.nadatech.com]

Thanks!
June 10, 2019 02:26PM
Your hot-end should have a fan blowing in its heatsink. That will probably solve your extrusion problems.

Having to click on links that lead to other links is a good way to keep even moderately security conscious people from seeing your stuff. Try posting the pix to some other hosting service that lets you link directly to the images.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 10, 2019 06:59PM
Thanks for the reply. Don’t forum much so not too savy. The links are up on my work cloud.

Traveling out of town for the week. Will keep you posted when I get back.
June 16, 2019 07:57AM
So I installed the fan and that seemed to correct the heating issue. The printer ran for an hour or so, but then the filament stopped coming out. Motor was skipping again. I realized the ptfe was not fully pushed in, so I clipped off the end of the filament, pushed some through the extruded, reseated the ptfe and ran again. The job ran for several hours, but then failed again? Kinda lost on this again. It seems to have an issue with speed changes during the print? No sure... next idea?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login