Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ender 5 keeps pausing while printing

Posted by ken88 
Ender 5 keeps pausing while printing
June 23, 2019 07:29AM
My printer keeps pausing for about 30 sec every minute while printing.
I have tried re formating the SD card and restore failsafe in control screen.

Can anyone help please ?

Ken
Re: Ender 5 keeps pausing while printing
June 23, 2019 08:47AM
Worked it out now.
It was the Utimaker Cura 4.0.0 slicer software
I done the same part with Crealty 1.2.1 slicer and it ran start to finish.
So I will try and reinstall Cura and try it again.
June 24, 2019 12:37PM
ken88
Worked it out now.
It was the Utimaker Cura 4.0.0 slicer software
I done the same part with Crealty 1.2.1 slicer and it ran start to finish.
So I will try and reinstall Cura and try it again.

Try the 4.1 CURA release and see how that goes. 4.0 gave me nothing but headaches and I dropped back to 3.6. I have not had the time to try 4.1 yet and I am hoping that this release corrects things that caused problems in RepRap printers when using CURA.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
July 06, 2019 08:03PM
From what I’ve read, the problems with Cura 4.0+ are related to your machine definitions not specifying max feed rates. The latest Cura just assumes the speed of light for some stupid reason and 8-bit boards seem to get confused with it. This is what I understand causes the machines to pause for a short time to figure out what to do before continuing. You can see this if you download the machine settings plugin from the Marketplace inside of Cura. If you specify the feed rates in machine settings or in your machine definition it’s not an issue as it uses the specified feed rates.
July 08, 2019 02:47PM
PDBeal
From what I’ve read, the problems with Cura 4.0+ are related to your machine definitions not specifying max feed rates. The latest Cura just assumes the speed of light for some stupid reason and 8-bit boards seem to get confused with it. This is what I understand causes the machines to pause for a short time to figure out what to do before continuing. You can see this if you download the machine settings plugin from the Marketplace inside of Cura. If you specify the feed rates in machine settings or in your machine definition it’s not an issue as it uses the specified feed rates.

Testing with the groups that I have been working with have shown that the problem of the pauses comes from sending data via the serial port. Models that pause (usually when doing curves and arcs) when getting data from Octoprint, work just fine when the file is printed from the SD card. I have a Anet A8 that pauses often in arcs when I send data via my Octopi setup, but the same gcode file prints fine from the SD card. The A8 controller seems "performance challenged". Both CURA and Simplify3D sliced prints have this issue on the A8. The problem is mostly with Octoprint however and how it handles serial I/O to some Marlin firmware boards.

Stranger problems exist for me with the CURA/Octoprint/Marlin code combinations. I have a Rambo-based printer that will send the head to the X/Y max point and print there when CURA sends the file to my Octopi on that computer. Sometimes. Other times it is fine. If I have CURA save it to SD card then most of the time it works fine, but occasionally I get the "go to your corner" print behavior. Simplify3D code works fine through Octopi to the printer. I can't use CURA with this printer. (Rambo controller running Marlin 1.1.8).

Even MORE stranger problems exist with CURA 4.0 for me. The one time I used CURA 4.0 to print to a Folgertech Kossel 2020 printer (MEGA2560 w/Ramps 1.4 shield), the print started by sending my hot end off of the platter entirely and grinding the belt at its furthest extremes. Needless to say, I have not tried using that combo again... S3D has never given me grief.

One common element with all of these systems is CURA. I suspect CURA works gangbusters with Ultimaker printers, but has quirks dealing with 3rd party or Reprap machines. Another common element is Octoprint. Octoprint has been shown to cause print degradation with some models, many feel because of the serial output throughput issue.

I use the SD card to print now quite often in order to get the best print resolution...

IMO,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login