Filament slips
July 04, 2019 08:52AM
Hi,

When I am trying to print something on my home made 3D printer, I can print the first and second layer, then the Bowden extruder's gear starts slipping; it cannot push the filament anymore, the gear is turning but slipping; the filament cannot go forward.

I tried all configurations of the tightening screw of the spring, corrected PID settings, cleaned the nozzle, tried with 200°C up to 215°C (I am using PLA) but no result.

I am wondering whether this is related to speed, feedrate and acceleration settings. The Slic3r puts automatically a feedrate as F1800, is this too high ? Do I have to change it every time I slice something ? I might proceed with trial and error method but I need a more rational method.

Any suggestions ?
VDX
Re: Filament slips
July 04, 2019 09:02AM
... try with even higher temperatures and eventually with a bigger nozzle ... next, replacing the bowden for direct-drive ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 09, 2019 08:13AM
The slicer that I use (Slic3r) puts speed values like F1800 which means 30 mm/s. Is this too high ? Could this be a reason for the filament to slip ?
3D fans
July 11, 2019 05:03AM
Hi,

I am trying to understand the configuration of the fan(s) used in 3D printers. As I understand there can be 2 fans :

1. External cooling fan that is pointed towards the part that we are printing.
2. Extruder fan that helps cool the extruder drive mechanism,

Ramps 1.4 has D9 connector for a fan connection and M106 command turns this connector ON. Where do I have to connect the second fan ? Which gcode command deals with it ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 04:43AM by Seapeace.
July 11, 2019 08:40AM
Hello. I connected second fan directly to the power source input. I think extruder needs to be cooled all the time, not only while printing.
July 11, 2019 08:42AM
When your extruder skips steps it might be related with too high speed or/and length of retraction. Try to increase temp to 215 ~ and modify the retraction size to 2 and retraction speed to half of your value. For me it solved the issue.

Btw. Check your nozzle if it is not jammed. You should be able to push filament using your hand through the nozzle.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 09:15AM by voxfuc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login