Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis is stalling out and vibrating??

Posted by Bernie 
Z axis is stalling out and vibrating??
July 09, 2019 03:43PM
Hi people<
I have been having a print problem with a new printer built from an online design. Here is a link to the design, [repalmakershop.com].
I have yet to print even one thing completely. I made changes as some of you folks suggested to make the whole printer 24vdc instead of the split in the design of hot bed on 24vdc and controller board running steppers, hot end, and fans on 12vdc. My problem has been what I know is the z axis is not moving down enough at each layer and smashing the filament material into each successive layer getting no where. Anyway all is now 24vdc. i was checking the travel of all axis xy and z to make sure when I jogged 10mm the travel of each axis was in fact 10mm The x and y moved true, the z when told to jog 10mm moved only 2mm I had to increase the steps per mm from the designers 600 to 3200 and the z axis now moves exactly 10mm. I was thinking that this was the problem, the z axis was not moving what the controller/print file called for.during a print attempt. The z axis was only moving a fifth the distance it needed to move. That all being said after my calibrating the z axis by increasing the steps/mm I thought I would be home free in the next print attempt. No such luck now on the "ALL axis" home, which happens before the print can begin the z axis motors just buzz and are stalled? Very frustrating!! I am including the configuration file in the attachment above.config.txt Can anyone help? Thank You.
Re: Z axis is stalling out and vibrating??
July 09, 2019 06:52PM
It's probably the homing feedrate that is too fast fornthe z-axis. Try lowering it to see if that works. I always set it really low and work my way up from there. I test my max feedrate in pronterface by sending a G01 Z10 F50 (F is the feedrate in mm's per minute), where F is the speed that I set higher and higher until it starts to stall and then I just go a little under that value.

Just don't worry, I think the homing speed really is the only issue here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 06:53PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 17, 2019 02:34PM
The below is a snippet of the homing config file. Seems low already. Any thoughts? Should I still go lower?

alpha_fast_homing_rate_mm_s 100 # feedrates in mm/second
beta_fast_homing_rate_mm_s 100 # "
gamma_fast_homing_rate_mm_s 8 # "
alpha_slow_homing_rate_mm_s 25 # "
beta_slow_homing_rate_mm_s 25 # "
gamma_slow_homing_rate_mm_s 2 # "

alpha_homing_retract_mm 5 # distance in mm
beta_homing_retract_mm 5 # "
gamma_homing_retract_mm 1 # "

#endstop_debounce_count 100 # uncomment if you get noise on your endstops, default is 100
move_to_origin_after_home true
July 26, 2019 07:55AM
No expert but:-
Which is the Z home rate? 100mm/sec is fast.
Don't forget you just upped the steps per mm. Could be the the steps are now so fast the motor can't respond.
This is Z so I would expect homing to be nearer 1mm/sec.
July 26, 2019 11:17AM
Thanks for taking a look. Alpha is X and at 100mm/sec fast and 25 slow. Beta is Y and at 100mm/sec fast and 25 slow. Gamma is Z and at 8 mm/sec fast and 2 slow. The X and Y axis are moving fine. Only the Z axis is stalling. So your saying the 8mm/sec should be close to 1?
July 27, 2019 03:28AM
Bernie
Thanks for taking a look. Alpha is X and at 100mm/sec fast and 25 slow. Beta is Y and at 100mm/sec fast and 25 slow. Gamma is Z and at 8 mm/sec fast and 2 slow. The X and Y axis are moving fine. Only the Z axis is stalling. So your saying the 8mm/sec should be close to 1?

My printer can only handle 5mm/s on the Z axis so 8mm/s might be too fast.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 29, 2019 07:11AM
I think you should set the Z to 0.5mm/sec and see what happens.
If it solves the problem you can try increasing the rate.
July 29, 2019 02:50PM
just asking....if i set the z axis to .5 from the current setting of 8, that would be the fast rate right? now that leads to the question, my slow rate is currently set at 2 now. so should i set it lower that .5, the same or ignore it for now? thank you!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login