Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing only layer 1

Posted by markcars 
printing only layer 1
July 15, 2019 02:44AM
I've been printing for about a year(since I started and got hooked on to 3d printing) and then took a break due to personal reasons.
I now tried to print with Repetier (with Slic3r) as I always did, but now I only see the first layer in my preview. Sometimes I see only the first and last layer. So if i slice and print, it shows 1st layer, then prints nothing in space, and then tries to print last layer. Has anyone had this issue before and what was the remedy?

Details: am using a home-made prusa style machine, with Marlin 1.1.8 installed on a Ramps 1.4 board. I designed and printed hundreds of items (some useful and some useless) last year and now stuck with this issue, cant find a solution yet. I feel stupid trying to print a simple 20mm cube and unable to now.
Re: printing only layer 1
July 26, 2019 07:44AM
Since no one else replied:-
I haven't seen this issue but have had some models sliced and noticed some gaps. I was slicing from Repetier and noticed in the communication box at the bottom there were error messages being reported from Slicer.
I changed a few dimension on the model and it was OK.
I suspect that there are occasions where dimensions dont add up for Slicer. Im talking fractions of mm.
I don't know enough about the models and the Slicing process to explain it but if you think of all the steps in translating some CAD indtruction into Gcode I can imagine that numbers being rounded up or down through several steps could lead to the occasional problem. Particularly on curved surfaces.
Its a bit like printing thin walls where you want the wall to be a multiple of the extruded width.
I would monitor the Slicer reports and try changing some dimensions slightly.
Re: printing only layer 1
July 26, 2019 12:02PM
There's probably a corrupt file in slic3r. Reinstall and try again.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login