Gaps in the infill // Extruderproblem // consistant
August 01, 2019 05:38PM
Description

Im having issues with my printers I built at my university here it germany. Both printer have the same quality issue. Im troubleshooting this since one year now, but couldnt find a solution. I tried it with the help of reddit, Facebook and the german 3D Druck-Community. The Cummunitys gave me tipps Like: speed, acc, turn coasting off and so on. Of course I tried everything but wasnt able to fix it. Now I am looking for help again.

Printer1: Heavily modified Hypercube by Tech2C (corexy, direct extruder) Titan Extruder E3DV6 Hotend Nozzle:0.3mm
Board: Bigtreetech SKR 1.3 with TMC2208
Marlin 2.0

Printer2: Hypercube by Tech2C (bowden extruder) E3DV6 Hotend Nozzle:0.4mm
Board: MKS GenL with TMC2208
Marlin 1.8.9

Slicer: Cura 4.1.0 (Simplify3D, Slic3r)

You can clearly see the artifacts in every corner. Another issue is the Infill. This is for sure related to the same problem.
I think the extruder stops a bit too early because it is at the end of the linear movement. Not enough material is pushed out leaving gaps behind.
The top of the cube looks perfect.

What I did:
calibrating the extruder
diffrent speed, acceleration, jerk (slower and faster)
different slicer (Simplify3D, Slic3r)
different Filament (different PLA and PETG)
different board: MKS Sbase 1.3, MKS Base 1.4, MKS GenL, SKR 1.3
different steppermotor driver (TMC2208, A4982, LV8729, DRV8825)
configurate comletly new Marlin
tighten belts and screws
changed the extruder to relative and absolut modus
tried different coolingsystems (more fans, different ducts)
tried different Startcodes
different slicer settings
enable Linear Advance
changing from 12V to 24V
tried Different Hotends and Extruders
rewired everything
and lastly played with settings in Marlin without knowing what they do

Now I dont know what to do and looking for help. The issue is consistant so I think this might be a software problem.

I would like to hear your opinion and how to tackle the problem again. Maybe my thoughts went in the wrong direction.
I will try to answer as soon as possible but university is busy at the moment.

Pictures:

Issue

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 05:49PM by mulski123.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (87.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_1163.jpeg (718.9 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (75.6 KB)
Re: Gaps in the infill // Extruderproblem // consistant
August 01, 2019 11:06PM
mulski123
Description

Im having issues with my printers I built at my university here it germany. Both printer have the same quality issue. Im troubleshooting this since one year now, but couldnt find a solution. I tried it with the help of reddit, Facebook and the german 3D Druck-Community. The Cummunitys gave me tipps Like: speed, acc, turn coasting off and so on. Of course I tried everything but wasnt able to fix it. Now I am looking for help again.

Printer1: Heavily modified Hypercube by Tech2C (corexy, direct extruder) Titan Extruder E3DV6 Hotend Nozzle:0.3mm
Board: Bigtreetech SKR 1.3 with TMC2208
Marlin 2.0

Printer2: Hypercube by Tech2C (bowden extruder) E3DV6 Hotend Nozzle:0.4mm
Board: MKS GenL with TMC2208
Marlin 1.8.9

Slicer: Cura 4.1.0 (Simplify3D, Slic3r)

You can clearly see the artifacts in every corner. Another issue is the Infill. This is for sure related to the same problem.
I think the extruder stops a bit too early because it is at the end of the linear movement. Not enough material is pushed out leaving gaps behind.
The top of the cube looks perfect.

What I did:
calibrating the extruder
diffrent speed, acceleration, jerk (slower and faster)
different slicer (Simplify3D, Slic3r)
different Filament (different PLA and PETG)
different board: MKS Sbase 1.3, MKS Base 1.4, MKS GenL, SKR 1.3
different steppermotor driver (TMC2208, A4982, LV8729, DRV8825)
configurate comletly new Marlin
tighten belts and screws
changed the extruder to relative and absolut modus
tried different coolingsystems (more fans, different ducts)
tried different Startcodes
different slicer settings
enable Linear Advance
changing from 12V to 24V
tried Different Hotends and Extruders
rewired everything
and lastly played with settings in Marlin without knowing what they do

Now I dont know what to do and looking for help. The issue is consistant so I think this might be a software problem.

I would like to hear your opinion and how to tackle the problem again. Maybe my thoughts went in the wrong direction.
I will try to answer as soon as possible but university is busy at the moment.

Pictures:

Issue

Thanks

It looks intentional. What are your coasting settings. Have you looked at your gcode to see if that is what your slicer thinks it is? My feeling is that your steps/mm are off and you just don't end up where the slicer thinks you should.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
August 02, 2019 03:53AM
dlc60

It looks intentional. What are your coasting settings. Have you looked at your gcode to see if that is what your slicer thinks it is? My feeling is that your steps/mm are off and you just don't end up where the slicer thinks you should.

DLC

I agree, my first thought was also the coasting setting. It's been giving me troubles as well. I would turn off coasting if it's enabled. Otherwise it might be retraction, but that generates different artifacts.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
August 02, 2019 06:06PM
coasting is definitely off. I tried this a few times.

I sliced the same file two times, one is turned off, one is on. the are minor difference. I dont know if this is a normal behavior.
Attachments:
open | download - coasting.zip (342 KB)
September 30, 2019 05:42AM
Update:

I tried sliced G Codes of a friend of mine in addition to the working config files of him. They worked perfect at his Hypercube but the issue at my Printers still remains.
I installed Klipper on a RaspberryPie4 but the Problem is still the same. Now I think I can exclude a Software issue.
The issue still remains on both Printers. I attached some Photos of the mechanic of the Printers.

[imgur.com]
September 30, 2019 07:43AM
Hi Emile,

I received your message on Thingiverse. It seems you've tried many common steps to rectify your problem(s).
I guess to begin we'll look at the crooked wall corners.

First test, remove the belts and move the X_gantry by hand along the Y axis. It should move virtually frictionless on the Y axis rails using linear bearings.
If ok, then try moving the X_gantry along the X axis rails. It can't be sticky or bind anywhere.
October 01, 2019 08:25AM
I was assuming these walls were infill but now i see that is wrong.
Looks like its printing the diagonals in one direction as a complete run, then the other diagonal is a series of small walls. Is the model homogeniouse or is this due to the slicer pathway mapping?
It could be that the STL doesn't have the walls joined together. In this case you only have a single wall thickness so its up to the slicer to work out how to join the walls.
Clearly the intent was that these smaller walls butt against the other, and that would work, and apear as a continuouse structure even though printed as seperate filament runs.
So if the model is not homogenious, the issue is that there is something increasing the gap and preventing the joints butting against each other.
It wasn't completely clear but i think you tried the same Gcode on another machine and its OK. So the issue is firmware or hardware. Could be something in the scaling and driver settings. Could also be related to the wall length.
I can't see a real cause as the issue is on a diagonal and not showing distortion.
Just had a thought - are the iner walls joined with a blend radius or chamfer. Could be that this is causing some issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login