Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2208s in UART mode make loud hissing noise

Posted by kulfuerst 
TMC2208s in UART mode make loud hissing noise
August 15, 2019 09:18AM
Hello everyone,

I got done yesterday setting up my TMC2208s in UART mode. I desoldered and resoldered some of the pins, all according to plan and without any issues or problems. I configured marlin accordingly and flashed the firmware. But now the drivers are suddenly making a loud hissing noise when turned on. You can see this here: [youtu.be]
unfortunately the loudness of the hissing sound doesn't come across very well, but I assure you, it is very loud and annoying and wasn't there before! When the motors are turned off, the sound disappears.
When I go back to previous firmware versions, the sound persists which leads me to believe it is a hardware "issue". I have double checked my soldering job and wiring and all is exactly as intended.
Does somebody know what the issue could be? All axes appear to be affected. I thank you very much for your help.
Re: TMC2208s in UART mode make loud hissing noise
August 15, 2019 09:56AM
To test if this is an issue with my 2208s I have now converted back to my previous A4988s. I am afraid that the loud hissing is still present, especially on the Z axis. Is there a chance I have somehow ruined my board??? sad smiley
August 21, 2019 02:36PM
Shot a new video that captures the hissing noise much better: [youtu.be]
October 23, 2019 05:38PM
It seems to work, so nothing it shot yet. But I am quite curious about your power settings in Marlin. Do your drivers connect? Do they show up the driver info when requested through the serial port? Can you set the power through the firmware? Where does the hissing come from? Are the stepper drivers equipped with cooling fins yet? Do you have a fan blowing on the drivers actively?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login