Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random gapping between the layers...

Posted by CVRIV 
Random gapping between the layers...
October 19, 2019 12:55AM
Hello everyone.

I have two 3D printers I bought a couple of years ago. I have been having trouble with these machines randomly producing gaps betwen the layers. I gave up on 3D printing for a year or more because of it, but now I'm back and want to figure this out. My buddy is working with thebone machine while I try and figure out whats going on with this machine.

While printing, it'll print many great layers, but then all of thw sudden will produce a gapped layer. The gap doesnt always go around the whole part. After watching thwbmachine print, I could actually see the extruder starving for filament; it's dribbling out.

I'm printing with PLA and my nozzle temp is 210. I bought and am waiting for an IR thermometer to arrove so I can be sure my nozzle is at temp.

Ive exhausted myself trying different settings via Cura and S3D. Nothing changes.

I decided to calculate esteps again. I measured 100mm of filament and went into the firmware to advance the extruder 100mm and it was skipping steps very crazy!

First... is it normal for the extruder to skips steps when advancing via the printers display? Right now the esteps is set to 96/mm. I can push the filament through the nozzle, it's hard but I can do it.

I have an Alunar M508, I dont think they make these anymore. It's just like an Anet A8. I'm using 1.75mm filament. It came with the printer; its old and brittle. I know it's stupid to it but I really don't think its the problem.

If the extruder skipping steps is not normal while advancing via the firmware, how do I go about checking the current to the e-stepper?

I'm using a 0.3mm nozzle as well, and both machines are doing this. My buddy updated the firmware on the otger machine and its still doing it.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Random gapping between the layers...
October 20, 2019 12:06AM
Figured it out. Bumped the vref for the estepper to 2.4V from 1.6V and increased the nozzle temp from 210 to 220 degrees. I also used new filament, same color, and increased the extruder gear tension. All the gaps disappeared. I'm going to decrease the vref to 2.0V and see if the gaps start forming again. I have no idea how much current im pushing through the stepper. The estepper was warm but can't tell how much of it is from over current and how much is from being over the hotend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login