Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dodgy first layers

Posted by curnowdj 
Dodgy first layers
November 29, 2019 11:30PM
G'Day Gang,
What is your opinions on the lower layers on this test cube? Bed is 110 hot end 245 with ABS
TIA
Attachments:
open | download - TestCube-2.jpg (928.4 KB)
open | download - TestCube-1.jpg (725 KB)
Re: Dodgy first layers
November 30, 2019 02:56AM
Serious warp.. Does your hotend have a part cooling fan? What print surface are you printing on? And try to print with a brim smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 30, 2019 06:54PM
No cooling fan as I did not think ABS required it. I use a 5mm brim and print onto borosilicate glass.
I have just going to do another test with reduced bed temp after initial layer. Also reduced hot end down to 240.
November 30, 2019 07:02PM
Okay yes, you really shouldn't use a fan, that's why I asked. Reducing hotend temp further might be worth a try. It's easy to feel when filament starts to become less viscous.

ABS needs good attachment, I do not have good experiences with bare glass and used to have buildtak for ABS back in the days.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 30, 2019 11:05PM
By reducing bed after first layer and hot end to 240 has improved out of site.
Just a very little shrinkage on one corner. I use sugary water on the bed which seems to work quite well.
I will try hot end a bit lower and see if that solves the issue.
Attachments:
open | download - TestCube-3.jpg (516.5 KB)
December 01, 2019 05:54AM
I reduced hot end down to 235 with the initial bed temp at 110 reducing to 80 after first layer. This has worked a treat.
Test cube has turned perfect.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Problem solved.
December 01, 2019 07:03AM
235°C / 80°C is on the low side for ABS, i usually print at 245°C / 105°C.
Do you have an enclosure? Without enclosure you will have cool environment air cooling down the upper parts while the lower parts remain hot due to the heatbed. This will produce extreme warp like the one you saw in the first prints. Going down with the print and bed temperature will reduce this, but the layer adhesion and over all stability of the part will be reduced a lot as well. If you print less compact parts than the cube, especially thin walls, the print will split.
By far the best print surface for ABS is PEI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 07:03AM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
December 02, 2019 08:41PM
The printer is a xyz Da Vinci v1 that I have rejigged with a Makerbase Gen L V1 motherboard. All the skin is off the printer at the moment.
The 235 deg hot end is what is shown on the lcd but I have not worked out how to check that accurately so that maybe higher or lower confused smiley
The test cube printed well but our ambients are getting up around 40 at the moment. so that will help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login