Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print stalls with equal extrusion values

Posted by benecito 
Print stalls with equal extrusion values
March 10, 2020 05:18PM
Hey,

to be honest I'm new to RepRap as I just started looking into the duet Board as an option, but got most of my quite unique ideas / needs up and running.

To make it a little easier to understand the why and what a short introduction to myself:
I did develop a chocolate 3D-Printer and plan on selling it in the near future. Obviously things are quite different when working with a syringe like mechanism instead of filament. Therefore I have a quite big filament diameter combined with a gear ratio of about 1:2.5 in the extruder. This results in really small E values within the G-Code.
So far my printers were based on repetier where the following problem didn't show up.

If two following G-Code lines have the same E value (Simplify outputs 4 digits after the comma) the print stalls for a fraction of a second but this already produces a small blob within the print.

I am sure the problem is a result of this, because I tried deleting these lines within the G-Code which solved the problem as well as manually changing the E values so they are not the same. Deleting the E value within the line of code did not solve the problem (which makes sense) as it doesn't really change anything.
Decreasing print speeds, or insanely high acceleration or jerk settings also didn't solve the problem.
I know the problem could be "solved" by different workarounds but in my experience workarounds only make things more complicated on a long term basis. So I hope to find a real solution to the problem here.

Not sure if the problem is firmware or board based...
(running 2.02 and 2.05 on two different printers using a duet Wifi)

I hope someone has a great idea about it
Re: Print stalls with equal extrusion values
March 10, 2020 06:29PM
Two possible solutions I can think of:

1. Change the jerk policy from 0 to 1 using the M556 command.

2. Increase the amount of extrusion generated by the slicer in order to avoid the rounding error, and reduce the extruder steps/mm by the same amount. Changing to volumetric extrusion (if the slicer supports that) will probably achieve this. Failing that, tell the slicer that the "filament" is several times thinner than it really is.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 11, 2020 04:56AM
I will try solution 1 later today, but I suppose you are talking about M566?

Within option 2 I will look into volumetric extrusion, but I don't really want to mess with steps /mm as this will result in some more problems.

I'll get back to you after trying.
March 12, 2020 10:20AM
Thanks a lot! M566 P1 already did the job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login