Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder stops temporarily during print

Posted by joaoabs 
Extruder stops temporarily during print
March 25, 2020 01:08PM
Hi,

Strange behavior that I just noticed and that can explain my problem with under extrusion.
I realised that my extruder stops randomly during print. Initially I thought it would be because the hotend would be traveling, but no. The movements aren't traveling movements...

I caught this on a small video. Initially it is stopped, then it starts moving very slowly, but definitely stopped during a movement that shouldn't be traveling (not straight line).

Since this stepper is powered by a TMC2208 I checked if there was any OT trigger or pre-warn. Nothing, even during the time it is stopped I can see anything.

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Cheers,
Joaoabs

My printer details below:

HyperCube Evo 300^3 adapted for 2020 extrusion and 10mm smooth rods 

XYZ steppers: 17HM0423 / 0.9º / 2.3A / 4200g.cm 

E Stepper: 42BYGH47-401A /  1.8º / 1.68A / 5400g.cm 

Bed Leveling: BLTouch clone and Linear leveling 

Hotend: Volcano clone with 0.4 noozle 

Extruder: Titan Extruder 

Heated bed,  all electronics powered @24V 

Electronics: SKR 1.3 with: XY: TMC2209 @1.5A / Z1,Z2: TMC2130 @1.2A / E: TMC2208 @1.25A 

Firmware: Marlin bugfix-2.0.x from 2019-11-22 

Octopi on RPI3B, filament runout sensor 

Slicer: Cura 4.5

Re: Extruder stops temporarily during print
March 25, 2020 06:37PM
Are you streaming gcode to the controller via USB?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 27, 2020 08:10PM
Hi,

Yes, via Octoprint.
Could it be it? If it was a kind of delay in the communication, wouldn't the other movements also stall?

Thanks,
Joaoabs
March 28, 2020 08:54AM
I have found that using OctoPrint, when it come to 3D Printing you need to print at a slower rate.

I know that when I use the OctoLapse plugin it causes problems see image below.

Model Printed with ABS @ 236C Hot-end 96C Bed
Left model printed with OctoLapse right directly from Controller onboard SD Card.

Because of problems using OctoPrint, now only print with controller SD card. However I still use OctoPrint to monitor the Printing from another Room.
It would be nice If while monitoring I could Record the video stream from OctoPrint though. I would like to purchase a new Raspberry Pi 4 to test OctoPrint / OctoLapse.
Have wondered if the faster Raspberry Pi 4 would allow OctoPrint / OctoLapse to print at a faster rate allowing for a better 3D printed model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 08:57AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 28, 2020 09:42AM
I use an old cell phone to monitor prints once in a while. There are free apps that make it super easy and don't require any subscriptions. Get OpenCamera - it lets you set up shots at a specified interval and resolution. Save the images in a directory on the phone that is backed up automatically by google photos. My old Droid Turbo has a 28 Mp camera, so I can get very high resolution images. I can check print progress by opening google photos via any web browser- the images get backed up the instant they are shot. I can also take all those images and use them to make timelapse movies. I start by batch cropping and scaling the images to whatever video resolution I want using irfanview (free), then make a movie from the sequence using imageJ (free).

Octoprint generates all sorts of wonderful stats if you're into that sort of thing, and allows you to start and stop prints using your phone (assuming the right filament is already loaded, the bed is clean, etc.) which might really impress your low-tech friends. The only value octoprint would have for me is stopping a failed print, but that happens so infrequently it wouldn't be worth the trouble to set up and maintain Octoprint. Then there are problems like stuttering prints... RPi cameras are a joke compared to my old cell phone camera.

Here's an image from the cell phone running Open Camera (click on it to see the full resolution image):

Open camera lets you add the text labeling with the time, etc., or turn that off if you don't want it.

There's more info and a sample time-lapse video on my blog. I can't figure out how to link the video here.

I mount the phone on the printer using a couple suction cups attached to a bent aluminum bracket that took about 20 minutes to make using hand tools. The camera attaches to the bracket with velcro tape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 09:43AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login