Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nylon print temperature

Posted by wallaceowen 
Nylon print temperature
July 16, 2020 02:32PM
I've been successfully been printing off a spool of 3D systems nylon filament.

With a nozzle temp of 260c and a bed temp of 100c, enclosure 50c and aside from some modest lifting off the build plate the prints are coming out very nice.
I don't know what kind of nylon it is, PA-6, PA-6.6, PA-11, PA-12. But my process is working well.

Then I purchased a kilo of SainSmart GF-nylon - Nylon with glass fibers, 10:1 ratio. I'm having a terrible time. It drops smelly black blobs on the print, crashes into the blob on the next pass and breaks the print free of the build plate.

I've tried dropping the temp to get rid of the blobs, and am now at 248, and still getting _some_ blobs big enough to mess me up.
And I have a spool of CF-nylon I'm afraid to try before I get past this.

My questions are:
What is the best print temp for the various kinds of nylon?
What works for you?
VDX
Re: Nylon print temperature
July 16, 2020 02:55PM
... I had two brands with different temps - one at 260degc, the other at 240 -- the difference are additives like pigments or viscosity-"optimizers" or short pieces of fibres like glass or carbon ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 16, 2020 03:30PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm now trying to print the GF-nylon at 240, 30mm/sec (15mm/sec for first layer), fingers crossed.
July 16, 2020 11:55PM
OK. I started at 240 and still had a bit of oozing, and ended up at 236, at which point I had no more blobs.

But did I lose interlayer adhesion? No. It's still nylon at heart, and once the layers touch there's no separating them.

Thanks, that did it.

I apparently have a spool of nylon pa-6,12, neutral, that prints wonderfully smooth at 260, and a spool of GF nylon pa-, that prints like coarse sand at 236.

Now to get a handle on the CF-nylon.
VDX
July 17, 2020 02:25AM
... next step could be sourcing nozzles suited for high-abrasive materials -- e.g. ruby inserts smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 17, 2020 03:15AM
VDX
... next step could be sourcing nozzles suited for high-abrasive materials -- e.g. ruby inserts smoking smiley

Ha, yes this is definitely needed. A friend of mind also tried printing with CF and he got a nozzle diameter twice the size before the roll ran out. And it wasn't an evenly distributed hole as well so print quality really suffered.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
July 17, 2020 06:50AM
... you can serach for "pneumatic resistors" => brass tubes with ruby inserts -- have some with different bore diameters, but not tried yet ...

Viktor
--------

July 17, 2020 09:01AM
VDX
... you can serach for "pneumatic resistors" => brass tubes with ruby inserts -- have some with different bore diameters, but not tried yet ...

I don't know how good these are, and maybe someone has tested them already, but these seem good:
[www.aliexpress.com]

Buy at your own risk of course smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login