Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Capillary effect in relation to 3D printer nozzles

Posted by gwatson1990 
Capillary effect in relation to 3D printer nozzles
March 05, 2021 03:10AM
Hey all, I've been running a custom build with a MK8 nozzle and an E3D titanium heatbreak for a while now, solely printing PETG. As I'm sure most of you know, often times PETG can make a pretty good mess of your hot-end especially during long prints. I recently went to switch my nozzle from a 0.4 to a 0.6 and when I took my hot-end apart there was filament along the threads of the nozzle and some of the heat break. After dozens of hours of printing I had no issues that would indicate a loose nozzle (oozing filament out of the heater block or flow issues) and it didn't seem to me that any filament had leaked from the inside out as I did a successful cold pull prior to disassembly and there was no filament pancaked between the two mating surfaces of the nozzle and heat-break. So my question is can the capillary effect cause filament to creep up the threads if there is space between the nozzle flange and the heater block? Or... am I just in denial that I didn't tighten my nozzle well enough?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login