Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CR-10 Textured glass does not release print

Posted by jparaskeva 
CR-10 Textured glass does not release print
March 11, 2021 05:49PM
I just purchased a new bed plate for my CR-10s. The bed is dark grey and has a textured glass finish.

It seems to stick very well, but does not release the part easily when cold. Even if I print at 50'C.

I am using SUNLU pla with a bed temperature of 60 'C

I have access to an Ender V2. This has a similar textured glass plate, but this releases very well once cooled down.

Would using glue stick, hairspray or dilute PVA be the answer (or would that clog the texture)?

Thanks for looking

John
rq3
Re: CR-10 Textured glass does not release print
March 11, 2021 06:15PM
@jparaskeva , I have an Anycubic Ultrabase Pro textured glass bed, and for years it would not stick to anything. At any temperature. Other people had great success with theirs. I just discovered that during the manufacturing process, the texture is fired onto the glass at a very high temperature, like glaze on a ceramic pot. Sometimes they clean the glazing flux off, sometimes they don't, which explained the difference in performance.

Heat your bed to at least 60C, and while it's hot clean it with distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and methyl alcohol, one after the other. Be VERY careful, as the alcohols can ignite!!! Doing this scrubbed all kinds of white flux off of my bed, and it has worked perfectly ever since. It took A LOT of scrubbing with fresh paper towels and fresh solvents to really get it clean.

Try this before you contaminate the bed with glue or hairspray. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you can always try the glue or hairspray. I wipe the bed with isopropyl alcohol before every print, NEVER touch the bed with my bare fingers, and let the bed cool before I try to remove a print. If I don't let it cool, the print will rip chunks of glass out of the bed.
March 12, 2021 03:22AM
Thanks for your great suggestions.

I was wondering if it was a fake, but the packaging and attention to detail seem good.

On the basis that there could be some randomness in the manufacturing, I will see if I can get it swapped out, before I spend more on chemicals that the bed cost.
March 17, 2021 09:23AM
I wonder if a safer method to clean the glass surface of your bed might be to use one of the cleaners used for glass-topped stoves. Oftentimes you have cooked on "stuff" and those cleaners work well.
March 18, 2021 11:20AM
For ABS, but not PLA, I print on plain glass (no hairspray or goop) which I clean only with distilled white vinegar. The worst thing is cleaning glass with acetone using kitchen tissues. The acetone dissolves something in the paper tissue and then spreads it on the glass resulting in no stick at all. To avoid this last problem I used Kimberly-Clarke "Science" tissues for applying the vinegar and for general wiping off.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login