3D touch level sensor fix, turn it in a reliable and high accuracy sensor
March 31, 2021 11:36AM
a bed leveling sensor is one of key tools to achieve consistent printing efficiency and it is a must when first layers play an important part of overall part shape and dimension, this is even more the case with rather small parts and thin layer thickness (<100 um).

Among many sensors, I prefer the HAL effect sensor over all others (like BL touch / 3D touch) as it should be rather accurate (sd ~10um) and both temp. and hum. have a neglectable inf;uence. There is another big advantage of a HAL type sensor with probe pin but this is out of scope of this subject.
2 months ago I purchased a 3D touch v2 of Geeetech. Rather soon after the installation I was confronted with sensor failures randomly: pin did not deploy and red blinking led (at both 50% or 80% duty cycle).
I checked everything: connectors, wiring, firmware (delay time, and all other settings), set scew on back of sensor to position the probe pin, but nothing resulted in a steady flawless operation. I monitored the voltage and signal pin with a scope 24/24 to see if power fluctuations due to bed or extruder or any other source was influencing the 5V line or if the pwm signal was not steady or corrupted with noise or false due to software errors.
Nothing was helping, sometimes it worked for 3 days continously and suddenly the failure returned.

Taking a closer look at the sensor probe pin taking it out of the sensor housing (unscew the set screw on the back side), I discovered the issue with this sensor:
(see pic 1)

In the back side of the probe pin is a small cylindrical magnet, that triggers the HAL sensor when it passes going upward. This magnet was not fixed!, it moved about 0.5 mm when using a metal micro screwdrover on the back of the sensor pin, as the magnet is pulled towards the metal...
(see pic 2 and 3)

Due to this the magnet moved up too close to the metal set screw and the magnetic force between pin and set screw became too high to be released when Gcode gives a M401 command.
Most probaly this magnet was initially fixed with acrylic glue to hold it at the bottom position of the probe pin tube zone, but the repeating pin deploy and stow movement shocks detached it's fixed location.

I used a 0.6 mm cut of a 1.75mm flexible filament and positioned it in the gap under the set edge of the probe pin:
this flexible small disc will ensure the magnet fixed position and prevents the set screw to come too close to the magnet when it is scewed in the sensor housing and settles in the probe pin back end. As it is flexible and not compressed this will give a firm and reliable fixation of the magnet.
(see pic 4 and 5)

Before mounting it back in its position, I did a 200 times deploy/stow loop using pronterface and it worked flawless.
A sensor accuracy measurement (10 times 10 measurements) using M48 command with random repositioning in between sensing revealed an average standard deviation of 7.4 um (sd : 2 um). the measurement was done is HS sensing mode (high speed)
So, this 3D touch of GEEETECH is actually a very good HAL sensor but poorly assembled.

If you suffer from the same issue, check the probe tip !winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - 20210331_1020_008_0.000.jpg (600.4 KB)
open | download - 20210331_1028_011_0.000.jpg (417.2 KB)
open | download - 20210331_1029_012_0.000.jpg (418 KB)
open | download - 20210331_1041_017_0.000.jpg (419.2 KB)
open | download - 20210331_1048_020_0.000.jpg (415.8 KB)
Re: 3D touch level sensor fix, turn it in a reliable and high accuracy sensor
April 01, 2021 04:30AM
xpsion
a bed leveling sensor is one of key tools to achieve consistent printing efficiency.....

No, a properly built machine doesn't need it. (Delta is an exception). Saves time and trouble too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 04:32AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 01, 2021 08:28AM
Allright!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 08:31AM by xpsion.
April 01, 2021 10:48AM
MKSA seems to be unable to see that that lazy users not setting their printers up correctly is not the same thing as bed sensors not being useful tools. If I change a nozzle or build surface I will check the level and even the flatness with my sensor(s)

Mike
April 02, 2021 01:43AM
leadinglights
MKSA seems to be unable to see that that lazy users not setting their printers up correctly is not the same thing as bed sensors not being useful tools. If I change a nozzle or build surface I will check the level and even the flatness with my sensor(s)

Mike

Mike doesn't seem to understand that I understood it from the start.

I use ONEĀ  sensor integrated in the print head carriage to determine Z0 when the nozzle touches the bed, no micro switch on the frame or other to tweak or head crashing in the bed ... !

And no adjustment required even if I change the nozzle or remove the bed as it is held in place by a 3 points kinematic mount using magnets.
I can check the bed flatness , level etc. Bed flat enough and two screws for the level, so faster to use a dial indicator BTW (I made a special mount for it).

I consider 1/20mm to be good enough.

People who speaks micron for this kind of machine make me grin and I laugh when I look at their "design", most of them an insult to generations of mechanics or for a very few, sound, but unnecessarily complex.

Bed and print head at working t0 of course, I had to protect the 0,0 with a Al shim to avoid damaging the PEI sheet.

DigitalDentist uses a simple microswitch and is happy with it, isn't ? So ?

Oh and for Delta, I like the strain gauge solution of DC42.

Funny but recently a few garbage designs pop up, some resurrected from 6+ years old thread. Covid19 side effect ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 02:20AM by MKSA.

April 02, 2021 03:55AM
Quote from 1st April
MKSA
No, a properly built machine doesn't need it. .......

Quote from 2nd April
MKSA
I use ONE sensor integrated in the print head carriage to determine Z0 when the nozzle touches the bed, ......

So was the first reply a case of "do what I say, not what I do", or was it an April Fools joke?

Mike
April 02, 2021 10:37AM
Dear,

I just wanted to help out those who suffer too from a possible manufacturing glitch which seems to impact not only the GEETECH 3D touch....

Regarding the um range , my sd of 7.4um means that I can assure a first level thickness deviation is within + or minus 22 um with a certainty of 99,99 %
The why, I did not discuss here on this forum, but such weird remarks about my accuracy aim is a bit strange because you have no idea what I am doing.confused smiley
your sensor seems piezo tech, but is completely unusable for what I am doing.

Have a great day!

Alex
April 03, 2021 01:59PM
leadinglights
Quote from 1st April
MKSA
No, a properly built machine doesn't need it. .......

Quote from 2nd April
MKSA
I use ONE sensor integrated in the print head carriage to determine Z0 when the nozzle touches the bed, ......

So was the first reply a case of "do what I say, not what I do", or was it an April Fools joke?

Mike

Or you simply misunderstood ? How about reading carefully my answers, xpsion quote included.

PS: for me this thread is closed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login